We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location, location... location?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Location, location... location?

Hello lovely tripadvisor community!

I'm in the midst of choosing between two hotels for my upcoming summer trip to Paris.

Though I've traveled in Europe before, it's my first time in the city of lights, so I'm a bit confused as to where the "best" place to stay might be.

Right now I have it narrowed down to two choices:

1. The Royal Magda (mere steps from the Arc de Triomphe)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d228809…

2. The Agora Saint Germain (close-ish to Notre Dame)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Any francophile care to weigh in on these options??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,525 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location, location... location?

I would go for Notre Dame. The Arc is at the head of the Champs Elysees which is not an area I want to spend much time on. It is a beautiful street lined with the same old same old big box stores you can see anywhere in the world, including 6 blocks from my home in Chicago, as well as overpriced tourist traps and on the side streets very very expensive hotels. Just not a very attractive place to stay in Paris. (there are areas into the l7th not far from the Arc that are nicer to stay, but not well located for a first trip.

Notre Dame is the heart of the city -- the river is gorgeous to walk along at night with the city lit up and there are loads of wonderful neighborhoods, restaurants etc within an easy stroll. (and also tons of tourists and tourist oriented business, so you do need to do a little homework on restaurants). It is also within easy walking distance of many of the main museums and tourists sites.

Both locations are well positioned for using public transport to get elsewhere in the city.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Edited: 20 March 2014, 03:58
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,137 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location, location... location?

What janet says,,, times two.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location, location... location?

In the other direction, Royal Magda is steps from Place des Ternes, which, along with the neighborhood, is just beautiful.

If you think you want to be in Tourist Central, agree with the above. But, I'm one who really enjoys getting away from all that at the end of each day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,525 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location, location... location?

Ternes is into the 17th and not a bad place to stay; on a first trip to Paris I'd go for tourist central, just more convenient and there is a reason it is tourist central -- it is beautiful and, well, central. But on later trips this would be a good area.

Frankly -- you do okay either way. Paris is a town that it is really easy to get around in.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location, location... location?

The more centrally you can locate yourself the better. With a central location you can walk to many of the most interesting sights, as opposed to riding underground in the Metro seeing nothing of the city above, or standing in a crowded, slow bus across the city.

Being able to walk to most sights allows you to soak up the feel of the various neighborhoods and see more interesting details, such as the random historical plaque attached to a building or an interesting/beautiful hidden courtyard.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location, location... location?

Markin - totally agree with your idea on 'centrality', I was just having a harder time deciding what was central in this city.

I was leaning towards the St. Germaine location, and I think you have all convinced me that that could be a good choice. Normally, I'm not one to want to stay in a very touristy area, BUT I'm traveling with my mother and aunt (in their 60s) and my sister, so I feel like they probably would like a location like that.

Oh, and Janet, I live in Chicago right now as well! So, yes, I think I can forgo the big box stores :)

Thanks for the advice and insight!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location, location... location?

In general, I think most would agree that Notre Dame and Ile de la Cite are about as central as you can get. It is within walking distance of most major sights, other than the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, and Montmartre.

I recently stayed in an apartment near Place St. Michel. I am in my mid-50's, in "decent" shape, and had no problem walking to most of the sights that wtihin 10-20 minutes from the apartment. like Notre Dame, Ste. Chapelle, the Latin Quarter, St. Germain, the Marais, the Louvre, Tuileries, and Orsay. I was traveling with my son, who is in his late 20's.

The only sights we used the Metro or bus to visit were those listed in the first paragraph.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 20:09
8. Re: Location, location... location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 05:18