We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Topic
Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

I have no idea what I will wear especially since every day will have time playing in the park with the kids.

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Paris Dinner and Show
1,476 Reviews
from US$225.10*
Moulin Rouge Late Night Show with...
124 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show: VIP Seating with...
215 Reviews
from US$262.60*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,116 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

I wear either a skirt and top or linen slacks and top in hot weather in Paris. You will see plenty of tourists in shorts (and young women in the dead of winter in shorts and tights or very short skirts for that matter) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

You will be fine as long as you wear clothes...preferably something that is really really you, not what is in fashion.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
2,318 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

I wear what is comfortable for me -- summer slacks and tops. Wear what is comfortable for you.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

Wear the same clothing you would wear at home to be comfortable in the same weather.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,709 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

Two men answering the "ladies what do you wear " question.. really .. that is funny.

I wear sundresses and skirts as I find them cooler then pants or capris. I wear comfy sundresses not fancy.. and raised three kids wearing them.. so really don't see any issue regarding playing with kids in them.. I just can't hang upside down on the monkey bars. Oh shucks. lol

I agree wear whatever you consider comfortable.. but suggest that in a city very short shorts or daisy dukes would likely make you stand out a bit. There are many nice shorts you could wear and blend in fine. I never wear flip flops in Paris.. love them at home and in Hawaii.. but in Paris my feet appreciate better support plus there is alot of gravel surfaces in parks and I had it when a rock slips into flip flop. I wear comfy walking sandals.. they can be worn with everything really other then the very fancy going out to dinner dress.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,757 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

I cannot wear skirts unless i wear tights, so I go for lightweight cropped trousers with a top/tunic/short dress. And comfy walking sandals. I choose nice tops and keep my fingers crossed that it will take away the attention to the fact that the sandals are not all that stylish. Not so easy to find stylish and comfy walking sandals, so mine come from the sports super store.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

By "tights", in summer, I'm guessing you're referring to stockings...? Either would be supremely uncomfortable and also probably unnecessary in very hot weather.

I'm another who finds skirts or sundresses far more comfortable in the hot weather. French women tend to be rather pale and don't wear tights or stockings.

And, with a longer length skirt or dress, not that much of the leg shows, though it's prudent to take care that length is not so long that you'd be stepping on the hem up/down stairs, or it dragging on the ground when sitting on buses, public benches, cafe chairs, etc.

Stylish , supremely comfortable, sandals are (in my experience) far easier to find than shoes.

Whatever you choose to wear, do keep in mind what flatters, along with what's "comfortable".

Edited: 20 March 2014, 07:49
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,757 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

Sorry, my american English is not up to scratch. According to wikipedia tights in English-English is a pantyhose in American-English.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,709 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

no one wears pantyhose nowadays in the summer.. perhaps at a very formal event. My 17 yr old dd doesn't even own a part and seems to find the concept of wearing them very fuddy duddy.( I wear them myself in the winter though!) . And skirts can cover as much length as "cropped trousers"( I assume thats like capris?)so if hiding legs are the issue then skirts and dresses do it and just feel cooler to me.. btw near the Moulin Rouge there is a giant air vent thingie that we stood on top of and let the cooler air blow up at us.. yes, had to hold my dress down a la Marilyn Monroe... but I remember how hot it was and how nice that air was.. .lol

One thing I will add is I never bring white or very light colored bottoms of any sort to travel with.. you sit on so many grubby surfaces.. bus seats, metro seats, park benches , low stone walls etc.. that they would be dingy in a day !

Mentioned in this post
Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge
11,180 Reviews
Paris, France
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,757 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ladies, what do you wear in Paris in summer?

Yes, skirts and dresses are cooler, but not all summer days in Paris are super hot, so capris might work as well.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France