We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

Dorset
Level Contributor
55 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

We are in Paris Monday to Thursday 7-11 April.

THANK YOU all

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

It's not so much a question of day of week rather than time of day. Queues tend to only increase as the day goes, so being there 30-40 minutes before opening time (just as for Notre Dame towers) is the key here.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

Definitely the morning.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

I've been in July and October. Both times were around 11am, and at most, we only waited for about 10 minutes.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

We waited for 2.5 hrs in early August, got there at 10. The day before, the lines were just as long. Go 30-40 min before opening time!!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
418 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

We were there a week ago Thursday. We got to the entrance at 9:40 a.m. (a little later than I'd hoped) and were 51st and 52nd in line. We were in by 10:20 (it opens at 10:00). There was quite a line behind us by 10 a.m., so I'm glad we got there when we did. We got the audio guides, and enjoyed the tour very much. The 3 euros (I think that was the cost) per audio guide was worth it for us, though we did miss some of the numbered sites in the dark. I did use the flashlight on my iphone to help illuminate the way, though it is lit.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

VivienJane,

i was there in a March of 2012 and i arrived approx 45 minutes before opening. Only a dozen or so people.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

I went there last week on tuesday 18, at 3 40. We waited only 10-15 min.

Maybe pure luck but this time of year is not very touristic. I was there in july a saturday around 11 and didn't try, the queue was doing the entire roundabout.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

We got there close to an hour before last April (towards the end of the month), and we were not the first in line. Maybe 20th or so. The line grew behind us very quickly and wrapped around the block before the doors were even open. While you are in line, you can have your coffee and pastry or granola bar, whatever. After you exit, have a nice lunch somewhere. But since you have a short trip, don't waste time in line--get there very early. You could luck out, as I'm happy to see some posters have, but best to plan on an hour before opening if you truly want to avoid a line.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

Waiting in line for an hour before opening is still waiting an hour. Since people have arrived a mere 30 minutes early and waited only 40 minutes total, I wouldn't go an hour early. See Post #5. To me 40 minutes is better than an assured 60 minutes.

Dorset
Level Contributor
55 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catacombs - When is best to avoid lines?

THANK YOU to all of you who have taken the time to reply.

Early it is!

Thanks again and happy travelling