We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

Hello friendly trip advisors! I will be in Paris May 19-26. I really want to do a trip or two outside of Paris to other areas in France. I'd ideally love to visit a beautiful castle or chateaux as well as some caves. Any suggestions on really cool ones? I love architecture and history so it would be best if the chateaux or castle was in a town where there are other interesting things to see as well.

As for caves, whenever I search for some all I get is Lascaux. Obviously Lascaux is super cool for its cave paintings but I was looking more for something else, along the lines of a cave to explore nature in.

Any ideas would be great, thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

You can look at this thread for a list of easy to do day trips near Paris:

tripadvisor.com/…55885554

My Mrs. is working on a list of châteaux near Paris you can visit that she'll post in a few minutes.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

I don't know where to start when it comes to castles/châteaux. I can't think of many suburbs that don't have at least one but not all can be visited and they will be of varying historic or architectural interest. In my département of the Val de Marne south east of Paris there are 50 castles and châteaux for 47 towns but only two are open to visits:

- Château de Vincennes (medieval keep) on métro 1

- Château de Grosbois (on Sunday afternoons only) by RER A + bus

Other easy to get to by public transportation:

- Versailles

- Fontainebleau

- Vaux-le-Vicomte (17th c.) and Blandy-les-Tours (medieval)

- Champs-sur-Marne

- Maisons-Laffitte

- Malmaison

- Sceaux (now just a museum but beautiful park and town center)

- St-Germain-en-Laye (now a museum of archeology)

You may also like the fortified medieval town of Provins.

Outside the Ile de France region but easily accessible: Pierrefonds, Chantilly, Compiègne.

There are many many more in less urban areas but you would need a car. Others will add to the list.

You won't find interesting caves around Paris.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,726 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

The largest palais in Europe is the Louvre. The second most important private cave in Europe is at La Tour d'Argent restaurant.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 20:13
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

If you like ruin and medieval fortresses, here are some more around Paris, some of which can be accessed somewhat easily by RER or suburban trains (Dourdan for instance is on RER C): …blogspot.fr/2012/04/les-vestiges-de-chateau…

There is a medieval castle right in the middle of the city of Paris which is one of my favorite monuments: the Conciergerie. The musée de Cluny is in a beautiful 15th century mansion.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

Thank you so much, Mr and Mrs French Mystique! Bummer about the caves but I'm excited about the wealth of options you have provided me. Any other towns or properties you recommend visiting outside of Paris direct?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

Most of the major places to visit that are near Paris have been mentioned if your interest is caves, châteaux or day trips from Paris. There's way more on the list you've been given than you could possibly see in six or seven days so I'd do some research on the places that have been mentioned and focus on those that interest you most. The day trip list I provided has links to all the tourist office websites you'd need to research the places I mentioned and the other places mentioned also have official websites that you'll find in a google search. Of course, there's plenty more in Paris to see and you've only been given suggestions for outside of Paris so don't forget to research those places within Paris itself that you'd like to visit. And of course, other people may have suggestions to add to your list.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

Just wanted to add that the places mentioned are all easily accessible by public transport. There are many other places near Paris that are worth seeing but a lot of them would be inconvenient (or impossible) to try to access from Paris using public transport.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

You have only a week, and visiting those châteaux outside (and inside) Paris will eat up all your time.

For caves, you have to go way farther afield, mainly to the Périgord. And there are LOADS more to visit than Lascaux. If all you want is to "go caving," as opposed to visiting chromatic and other prehistoric caves, there are probably a number of venues, but none even remotely close to Paris.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

Gets pretty hard to find non-chromatic caves in France, really. France probably has greatest number of them in the world that appear earlier than 17,000 years ago...new paintings found all the time and caves regarded generally as protected resources, as is right.

You've been given enough for several days outside of Paris (your whole trip, actually) but there are some interesting castles and underground spaces in Paris itself. Are you interested in those?

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Caves, chateauxs, and castles around Paris

Here are some cool pictures of the quarries in and around Paris but they are not open to visitors: …morkitu.org/index_carriere.html (some of them have graffiti from past centuries)