We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

Hi

We're leaving Paris on a Thursday and I know this is the market day. Will we be able to get macarons to bring home as presents from this market or will we need to get them the day before from a patisserie?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

There is one stand here that sells different breads, and sometimes they have macarons. Frankly, the bread is good, but the macarons and other cookie-things are not worth buying.

Nearby this market, you have an embarrassment of choices - Dalloyau and LeNotre are both near Place de la Bastille, and near Place des Vosges you could go to either Gerard Mulot or Carette - all of them have terrific macarons and other delicious, sinful things.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

Also - if you want to take them home, you will want them packed in a box. Macarons really do not travel well, and don't stay fresh for more than a couple of days.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

Thanks Patty, I can always rely on you to keep me right! We might just get up early that morning and head to one of the patisseries you mentioned and buy them boxed from there. We only want one or two boxes and if they only keep fresh a couple of days then we will limit our purchases to maybe 2 boxes.

Am dreading the amount of lbs/kilos I'm going to put on with all those delicisious pastries!! :(

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

If you're flying, Ladurée has stores at CDG and Orly.

aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/Shop…

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

Hi Patty, tagging onto this thread- I am trying to arrange my schedule and trying to decide if the market is worth seeing- (your response appeared luckwarm) I am staying near by so not a huge hike- but still if it is not worth it- there are some other activities I am interested in that are held on Sundays as well.. Thank you

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,042 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

I went to the market on a Sunday afternoon last May. It was around 12:30-1:00 and things were winding down a bit but it was still interesting and I was able to pick up a couple of things to take back to my apartment.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

It is an okay market if you need to buy food and there are a couple of stands with good take out food. In my experience markets are a bad place to buy bread and other baked goods. We have always been disappointed in the quality/freshness of bread -- I suspect it has to be baked well in advance to get it into the market. Markets are best for produce. The Richard Lenoir market is fairly expensive compared to the one in Belleville and about the same prices as the market streets on the west end of town.

We like to get Charcrout Garnie at markets.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

kate - some people love outdoor markets, because they have never seen one. Add a foreign language, foreign products - especially seafood and meats - and it's a pretty big whoop for folks who only get to shop at Costco or a small neighborhood supermarket.

If you've already been exposed to an outdoor market, and have other things on your agenda, I don't think you would be missing much.

You asked a very good question though - I see a lot of disappointed people at markets. I think the hype has just gotten way overblown...and the reality of a busy market filled with intense residents isn't always:"tourist-friendly"!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

I think that some of the visitors are expecting to see men wearing berets and carrying baguettes under their arms while the women suddenly start singing Edith Piaf songs. Seeing people shopping for food to eat must be a big disappointment.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bastille (Richard Lenoir) Market

Thanks Patty- think I will pass and just head to some of the "foodie" streets talked about here during my stay- I was just thinking there is probably a lot of "hype" around the Saturday am farmer's market held at the Ferry Plaza here in San Francisco- it's ok- but nothing special!