We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

We are planning our August trip, and weighing the pros and cons of going to Bruges for one night. I think it's cramming too much into our trip, personally. My son is heavily pushing Bruges. The truth? I think he just wants to stock up on liege waffles at the Carrefour. He brought home five sacks of waffles (50 or 60 waffles!) from our trip to Belgium.

Do the Paris Carrefours sell liege waffles? If I could tell my son that, it may switch him over to my side (i.e. more time in Normandy, skip Bruges).

I would love to go to Bruges - someday. It's just a lot of travel time and expense. I'd rather spend one more night in Normandy and see Bruges some other time.

THANK YOU!

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
The Paris Diner
The Paris Diner
109 Reviews
Paris, France
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Skip-the-Line Admission...
622 Reviews
from US$51.30*
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Tickets with Lunch...
151 Reviews
from US$58.80*
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

The Carrefour website indicates they sell them, but I can only find one Carrefour in Paris, in Auteuil, and I don't ever remember seeing one in Paris myself. At any rate, it's purportedly available in Carrefours everywhere.

But perhaps more to the point, here's an article from Le Figaro about where to find the best gaufres liégoises in Paris: lefigaro.fr/sortir-paris/2011/03/15/03013-20…

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,629 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

You should be able to get them at any grocery store. The largest Carrefour near central Paris is at Porte Auteuil:

Carrefour Paris Auteuil

1/3 Avenue du Général Sarrail

They should have them but any of the smaller Carrefours should as well.

carrefour.fr/search/…15

If you can work with it being in French, here is the recipe for Gaufres de Liège:

marmiton.org/recettes/recette_gaufres-de-lie…

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

Thanks so much Stcirq and Sarastro!

I buy French cooking magazines, so yes, I can work out the recipe in French :-) Thank you! I'm trying to bake less though. I'm really trying to lose weight!

I'm certain my son will enjoy working his way down the list from le Figaro! Thank you so much :-)

Well in any case, Auteuil is a much shorter train ride than Bruges, and something my son and I can do together one of the days my husband is working. There are, however, at least two Carrefour express in St Germain so I will cross my fingers and hope to find them there. They did stock them at the Express in Bruxelles - several kinds!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Saint Germain
Hotel Saint Germain
915 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

This kind of stuff?

ooshop.com/courses-en-ligne/…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

Carrefour took over the Champion supermarket chain a few years ago, so there are plenty of "Carrefour Market" stores throughout Paris. They seem to be changing the name to "C Market" so be aware of that. If you want to go to a Carrefour hypermarket, you can find them at the following metro stations: Porte d'Auteuil, Porte de Montreuil, Galléni, Saint Denis Basilique. For a more scenic trip, you can go to Corentin Cariou metro and take the free boat to the Millénaire mall in just a few minutes -- there is a Carrefour there as well.

And of course besides Carrefour Market/C Market, there is also Carrefour Express and Carrefour City throughout Paris. After all, Carrefour is the largest international food chain in the world and the #2 retailer after Wal-Mart.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 23:19
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Saint-Denis
Saint-Denis
Seine-Saint-Denis, France
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

Did you check your local Whole Foods frozen breakfast section? The Julian's waffles are pretty good.

http://www.juliansrecipe.com/products.html

Not as exotic as buying them in Europe, I know :-))))

Monoprix, etc also would sell these....

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

K2 - that's exactly the sort of thing! He brought three sacks of waffles into school and was very popular. He wants to bring a few more sacs to the first day of school next year. Not kidding, he'd bring back one for each student if he could! LOL Thanks so much - we were already thinking of taking the boat ride to that mall, because my son really loves to shop and he really loves the Eiffel Tower.

Rasteriasha - we're about 2 hours to the closest whole foods, but there's one near my mom's house. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
118,237 Reviews
Paris, France
Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

Did these waffles actually taste good or more like warmed up cardboard? I have only eaten waffles and crepes made on the spot, and can't fathom how frozen ones would taste like...

Edited: 25 March 2014, 02:55
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

The frozen ones from Whole Foods I warm up in the oven, so they are not soggy, but crispy. I find them too sweet, but that's for Russian tastebuds. I think for the American market they are actually surprisingly good.

I actually freeze alot of stuff (that we make at home). It's pretty convinient, like our own little Picard :-D

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stupid question - Carrefour liege waffles

If you ask me, they weren't very good. If you ask the 7th graders, they're awesome!!!! They tasted a bit like oversweet stale waffles to me. My son really likes them warmed up in the toaster oven with nutella on them. His friends loved them at room temperature out of the wrapper. *shrug* The ones Kerouac2 posted do taste better than Twinkies, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

Still, they're light to carry and we had room in our bags so no worries. I wouldn't pay any postage or excess baggage charges to get them home. But sometimes you just do what makes the kid happy. When he said he was going to Belgium, one of his friends asked him to bring back waffles. They were less than E2 a pack, so he brought back a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe