We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

I would like to seek for help with a refund of a hotel in Paris called Hôtel Amadeus.

My friend and I stayed in this hotel on 11/3-14/3 and the booking was made under his name. On 14/3 morning, we decided to stay 1 more night at the hotel so we went to the reception and asked for the price. The hotel manager said it was euro79 and we thought it was too expensive.

So I made another booking via hotel.com for euro49. We went back to the counter and showed the booking confirmation to the manager. She insisted us to pay euro79 even though we booked it for euro49. We thought it was a big scam so we decided not to stay there and booked somewhere else.

When I came back from my trip, I found that my credit card was charge euro49 for the night that we did not stay!

I called up the hotel and asked for a refund and they kept saying we were no-show even though the manager confirmed that she remembered seeing us on the reception!

I think it was a scam and it left a very bad impression on Paris. It would be great if anyone can help with this issue or let me know if there is any organization that we can seek help from.

Thank you.

Regards,

Genie

Essex
Level Contributor
28,526 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

As your extra night was organised via an agent, ie hotel.com, you need to seek redress from them, not the Hotel.

However, you should check the T's & C's of the deal you made, as I suspect such a last-minute booking is likely to have been on non-refundable terms, anyway.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 17:52
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

Either what EW says, or that you failed to cancel the booking with booking,com and were, from their point of view also, a no-show. Usually, one must cancel reservations with the same agent one has booked it with, not with the individual hotel involved.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

IMO you don't have a right to any refund. You decided to stay somewhere else.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

I would say that this is a communication problem, not a scam. Why didn't you contact Hotels.com right away and have them sort it out with the hotel? They're the one's who need to now that a hotel is not honoring a rate. All in all it seems like a lot of work to go through to save a small amount of money.

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

I have contacted hotel.com right away but all I got was a canned reply....

They didn't offer any help and so..

I thought they wont charge my card as I read on my booking saying hotel.com won't charge my card and I will pay at the hotel.

Really don't know what to do now.. :( Is here any organization that may be able to help with this case?

Edited: 26 March 2014, 18:10
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by canned reply? Did you contact them immediately as in that day before you went to a different hotel or after you returned home?

It's unlikely to help you now but if in a similar situation in the future, I would recommend going directly to the hotel (a manager, not front desk attendant if possible) and show them that hotels.com is advertising for 49E per night and ask them to honor the rate rather than booking through the 3rd party.

Level Contributor
9,086 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

I don't think it is a scam other than this hotel was not too smart to not honor the price...you were there and no doubt that room went empty that night. Hotels.com need to be made aware that they refused the reservation at the quoted rate..hopefully you got the name etc. of reception person that you dealt with...I assume the lower rate (wow that rate is low in Paris) is what you paid for the other nights. You need to deal with Hotels.com and frankly I would write a review of the hotel mentioning the issue you had. You should have asked for the manager if you actually had a conf. booking no. in hand with the rate and not just left. That was no doubt non refundable at that point.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

Most non-penalty cancellations are a 24-48 hr limit anyway. If you booked the room and cancelled the room the same day, then there is a penalty. That penalty is usually the rate for the night. So, I doubt that you are due a refund, unless my scenario is inaccurate with regard to actual facts. If you were charged the Booking.com rate (49€), then it is most likely they who charged you, not the hotel.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

Genie, no organization is going to help you if you failed to honor the cancellation policy as set forth by booking.com. It's not the hotel's fault.

I'm sorry, I know it's not the answer you want, but the truth is that it's no one's fault but your own.

Level Contributor
9,086 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to complain a hotel & ask for a refund in Paris?

I agree with above about no organization helping but hotels.com does play a role here because this hotel failed to honor the rate...that is the key...it is not about cancel notice or anything else...hotels.com needs to deal with the hotel and as I mentioned if this poster has a conf. number...showed up at the hotel and was refused the room at the rate then to my way of thinking op is entitled to a refund. It is for just these reasons I just book directly with the hotel. I guarantee if this person had asked for management they would have honored the price...they got a clerk that just did not get it. I really don't know how issues are handled with hotels.com but they must have a process and if I were OP I would start working it.