We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment rental price change

clairelovesparis
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment rental price change

I seek your wisdom...

We booked an apartment through VRBO that we know is legitimate (we did our research), however, I have since seen the same apartment advertised for 200 euros less a week than we are paying (in the same season).

Do I - a) suck it up, and acknowledge that as the landlord/agent they have the right to change prices and it's just too bad so sad, or B) question the price change?

I do not have a screen capture of the original quote, but I know when we received the lease it seemed like it was more (adding in agency fees etc.)

Whilst 200 euros a week may not seem like much, we are there for two weeks, and at the current exchange rate this is nearly $600 - a lot of pain au chocolates.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment rental price change

IMO Although I am not an expert on this I guess I would question it and ask why in a very non threatening way…i.e. …I just noticed that your apartment is advertised at such and such for E200 less and was wondering why….and for the record $600 is not something to apologize for…

Edited: 28 March 2014, 00:31
Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment rental price change

Hopefully the people use to how they do things in Paris will give you their opinion….Ultimately what you do is up to you though….

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment rental price change

You say that you have since seen the same apartment advertised for 200 euros less a week than you are paying, but is this the same advertisement on VRBO or through a different site or agent? Many places are multi listed resulting in different prices. Also, some listing agents will break out things like agency and cleaning fees, then include them on the final page as you confirm the payment. The other point is that an apartment is like a perishable. The closer it gets to the booking date (use by date), the more likely it is to be reduced in price. You can certainly ask why it is advertised at a lower price, but you agreed to the price when you made the booking. If you now saw the apartment advertised at a higher price would you expect to pay the extra?

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment rental price change

Claire, I have just read your post again and there is one part I am not clear on. You say that you do not have a screen capture of the original quote, but you know when you received the lease it seemed like it was more (adding in agency fees etc.) More than what? More than you expected based on the price quoted, or more than it is now being advertised at?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment rental price change

+#3 exactly what wigwam said.

clairelovesparis
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment rental price change

It's on the same website. We were considering staying a bit longer, so I was checking if it was available when I noticed how much cheaper it was.

clairelovesparis
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment rental price change

I've just had a baby, so apologies for the confusion.

I'm sure when I got the original quote (using the instant quote facility) it was cheaper than the amount on the lease, but I think they may have thrown in an agency fee. The cleaning fee is an additional fee.

Regardless, the issue is that I'm paying more than I would have if I booked the apartment now, but like another poster said, it's probably the perishable thing (closer to the date, the rate goes down). I will politely ask though, in case there has been some confusion at the other end (I just wish I had been more vigilant in the beginning, but I've been functioning on very little sleep so I'm not thinking clearly).

The most confusing thing is that we are paying 970 euros a week, and the flat is now 790 euros a week, so I'm wondering if they entered the amount incorrectly in the lease.

clairelovesparis
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment rental price change

Thanks for your nice message. I'm thinking about all the things I could do with the cash - right now, paying for a night out is one of them...

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment rental price change

I have had a similar situation involving a Security Deposit. On the web site when I booked it showed €300 but when I received the contract it was filled out for €500. I pointed out the change and received an apology and a new contract with a €200 Security Deposit. So, it does pay to question any changes or possible changes.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartment rental price change

I'd go with the 'it appears there is a typo on our lease' query given the 970/790 difference. (of course it may well be a typo now rather than then) 970 is fairly cheap for an apartment for a week in Paris.