We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different plan for 10 hr layover?

california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Different plan for 10 hr layover?

I'm scheduled to land at 10am on a Monday in late June, coming from US - and leave at 8pm the same day to Greece.

Flights were booked together through United on United & Aegean, so I expect the checked bag to be checked through and to have a boarding pass -- though if that turns out to be wrong I realize that'll eat an extra hour or so. And Greece is Schengen so I only have to go through passport control coming in, not going. <-- this because I get tired of reading it all being spelled out to the OP in other similar posts.

So I'd like to get OUT of the airport - I'll be between flight 3 & 4 of this and could use some outside air and daylight and non-airline food.

Question is where to go? Last time I was in Paris I went to the Louvre and Notre Dame (inside both and the museum under Notre Dame as well) also an anthropological museum of stuff from everywhere other than Europe (forget the name, near Eiffel Tower). So something other than hanging out near these again.

My first thought was to go to Orsay, but it is closed on Monday. Versailles seems definitely too far away for a layover visit. The National Archaeology Museum looks tempting, but would I have enough time for that? http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires says it's about 11/2 hrs away and the building it is in is huge. I've been known to spend entire days in National Archaeology Museums, perhaps it's better saved for when I have a couple days instead of 4-5 hours.

So I'd like somewhere to head to, to possibly stroll short time in a park with benches and fountains and trees, find a nice simple non-airplane/non-airport lunch. Bonus for a museum or site that will hold my interest for an hour or so, but not make me wish I had all day. Maybe the Pantheon? Extra bonus, as horrible as this sounds, if it is near a Starbucks because I will likely want a nice huge cup of drip coffee, not just the cute little traditional coffees, I will have a good excuse for wanting the caffeine! I know there are some there I saw one last time.

Thanks for ideas.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Different plan for 10 hr layover?

Well, you could go to the Cluny museum since 1/ the Unicorn tapestry is back; 2/ it's easily accessible from CDG via RER and the St Michel stop; 3/ there is Starbucks at nearby Odéon; 4/ as well as Jardins du Luxembourg for a stroll if you have time.

http://www.musee-moyenage.fr/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,813 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different plan for 10 hr layover?

Whatever Parisix said.

If you still have time - Rodin Museum.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different plan for 10 hr layover?

my first thought was Rodin -- but that's not quite as convenient at Cluny.

Do take the RER and not a cab -- it will be faster. Make sure to buy round-trip tickets so as not to waste time on your way back to the airport.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Different plan for 10 hr layover?

Cluny is a great suggestion because it has the Roman ruins so you will be able to get a bit of archaeology in, too.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 17:13
california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different plan for 10 hr layover?

Yes! that sounds perfect. Thanks all of you. :)

6. Re: Different plan for 10 hr layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 06:16