We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Pass necessary?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Metro Pass necessary?

Hello,

I will be in Paris in April for 5 days. I was wondering if a metro pass is a good option as I will be doing some sight seeing in zone 1 area mostly. I figured i'd take a taxi from CDG to Paris. Suggestions? Anyone think its a good idea to pay 140 euros for a couple for a 1.5 hours dinner cruise? thanks everyone..we are so excited to visit Paris for the first time

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Pass necessary?

Would getting a shuttle service to Paris be better, unfortunately I have to stop for everyone's hotels before I get to my..depends I guess

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,033 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Pass necessary?

Specifically, what 5 days. You need to indicate the day of the week you arrive.

140€ is expensive. I really like the Bateaux Mouches and you should definitely take one as soon as you arrive as it is a relaxing way to acquire a feel for the layout of Paris. If you want to go on a dinner cruise specifically, do it keeping in mind that the food is not the reason you are on a differ cruise.

I agree with your taking a taxi into Paris. Expect to pay 50€ to 55€.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,654 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Pass necessary?

There is no Metro Pass that I'm aware of for the price that you mention. Are you looking at the Paris Pass? If so, this is an overpriced jumble of stuff that would be impossible to use.

If you are staying in a central location you'll probably just need a carnet (10 tickets sold at a reduced price) - or two of Metro tickets. This will cost you 13.70 euros for 10 rides on the metro or bus.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Pass necessary?

For a first trip to Paris, it is probably best to just buy as many carnets as you need. When you return to Paris the next time, it will be much easier to determine if other options are better.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro Pass necessary?

Take a taxi from the official taxi queue. Hand the driver a card with your address, relax and enjoy the ride into Paris, which will take about half an hour.

A one-hour romantic cruise on any of the bateaux mouches costs around 26 EU/couple - especially nice in the evening, when the bridges and monuments are illuminated. You could have a much nicer dinner almost anywhere else in Paris for about 100 EU/couple.

Get the carnets, available in any Metro station. You probably won't need more than that, but can buy single tickets, if need be.

6. Re: Metro Pass necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 20:05
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro Pass necessary?

Thanks for the tip. I was going to be there Monday - Monday

http://conciergerie.com/ has unlimited passes for 3days for 60 euros for two people. Think it's a good choice?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro Pass necessary?

Nope. Total rip off.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
578 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro Pass necessary?

For 60€ you can buy 4 carnets (booklets of 10 single tickets) and have some change left over. That would be 40 tickets - probably way more than two people would use in 3 days. I think that's the better option for you. If you figure that you take two round trips from your hotel to somewhere in the city, that's 4 tickets each, so in three days, you'd use 24 tickets. You might travel a little more than that, but even so, 1 carnet per day @ 13.70€ is probably enough for two people.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
578 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro Pass necessary?

By the way, if you really like the idea of having an unlimited pass, rather than worrying about individual tickets, wait to buy it at a station in Paris, where it would be a bit cheaper than what you saw on conciergerie.com