We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airbnb in paris

Franklin, Wisconsin
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
airbnb in paris

I have been trying for quite some time to get a place in Paris. Everytime I find a place, they say "sorry, they have already committed" This past time, I found one and they pre-approved me. I was still waiting for them to answer a few questions about the bathrooms and they said they would answer me later. OK, so I waited a full day since they were so responsive previously. I didn't hear back so I reasked my question but made it easier to reply. I was then told, "sorry, that they found someone who is going to rent it for a longer period of time during the time I was interested in". I went back and checked the calendar and there still was no change. I have experienced this in quite a few properties. All we are looking for is a place to stay for 5 nights in June, for 5 people. Ridic. Has any one else had this experience? We are starting to run out of time as we will be there in June.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airbnb in paris

I've had similar experiences with Airbnb in Paris. But it's really not their fault. And who can blame an owner for booking with someone who's ready to book over someone who is not. What would you do if you were in the same situation?

And I've found owners who do not keep their calendars up-to-date. That's just the way it is. Add to this the fact that you're fairly late to the game for booking a June apartment rental.

New York
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airbnb in paris

Hm, we have used airBnB in Paris a few times already, was a full success every single time.

You HAVE to do your homework before though.

Look for somebody who gets a) lots of positive reviews, b) keeps up with the calendar and c) tells in the profile how quickly they respond. You can save yourself a lot of headaches by doing your homework beforehand.

Good luck.

We are off to Paris next week again with airBnB.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airbnb in paris

This is a very good example of what the regulars here mean when we say it's a lot of work to rent an apartment, and why we often tell people to stay in hotels for short stays. And yes, unfortunately you're very late to be renting in Paris for June. Keep at it...something will turn up.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airbnb in paris

Vacation rental apartments are not professionally-run, with the exception of a few reputable agencies, who have staff members attending to updating calendars, fielding hundreds of requests per day, dealing with deposits, etc. The things you describe are not at all unusual, and this underlines the importance of doing due diligence several months in advance, if you plan on trying to rent an apartment in Paris.

If you need a quick, easy, verified place to stay while on vacation, start looking at hotels. It may not be what you had in mind, but you are really looking for a "hotel experience", where it doesn't exist.

Airbnb in Paris is usually individuals looking to make some quick cash - they sublet their apartment, take your money, then go sleep on a friend's sofa. It's not a traditional vacation rental, you're simply sleeping in someone else's bed - very similar to "couch-surfing". Subletting is not permitted, under most leases, so you have no guarantee that the apartment will be available when you arrive. If neighbors complain, or the owner hears about it, you can be left without a place to stay. Nothing .professional at all about it, and an updated calendar would be the least of your worries....

California
Level Contributor
686 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airbnb in paris

Try Vrbo

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
272 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airbnb in paris

To the OP, there could be a myriad of reasons as to why you ran into these problems.

I've used AirBNB for a few times before my upcoming trip here, but I faced similar discomfort (not unlike your experience) while apartment hunting in Paris. There could be many reasons. First of all, not all owners who list their apartments for rent on AirBNB are fluent in English. This could mean they need to put your messages through Google Translate in order to understand it in their native language.

It depends also on the duration of your stay. If you're staying for more than a couple of days or a week, those who crash on their friends sofa may not be able to accept your booking as the prolonged stay may be inconvenient to the hosts themselves.

As you have so rightly mentioned yourself, most of them are not service professionals but merely common folk hoping to make some extra money with their properties while you visit Paris. So calendars may not be updated as frequent as it should be. Family or relatives may visit on short notice.

I could list a few more but I'm sure you get the point.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airbnb in paris

Look for those with the "instant book" feature, verified photos and quick response time.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 14:36
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,070 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airbnb in paris

you don't have a place until you are booked and they are free to give it to someone else until you have booked. (and unscrupulous operators will also book to a better deal after you have booked; if this happens you have no recourse as these rentals are pretty much all illegal)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airbnb in paris

If the owner cancel a confirmed reservation on airbnb, they are not able to resell unless they list elsewhere. And if the owner has a habit of cancelling, it will show in the review section.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: airbnb in paris

And airbnb owners are penalized (monetarily) for cancellations, plus if they have too many they will be "banned".