We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

Hello, We will be staying in Paris at an apartment for 6 nights. I am trying to get an idea about some of the quick yet inexpensive foods we can make while we are there. I am not planning on spending a lot of time in the kitchen or spending too much money on buying all sorts of ingredients - our main concern is to save money by making our own meals.

How expensive are the basic groceries in Paris? Like milk, bread,eggs? Any ideas what we can make with minimum ingredients in small amount of time?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

One of my favorite meals that I make in my Paris apartment stays involves no cooking at all: a few nice cheeses, apple or pear, tomato, mousse de foie gras, part of a baguette and some wine. Delicious and takes 5 min. to put together.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 04:44
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

I did not notice groceries being much more than here in the USA. We usually buy one of the Roti chickens with the potatoes for dinner. I buy some pasta and sauce and use the left over chicken the next day. I remember buying pork chops . Vegetables and salad makings are easily attainable in Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,287 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

Get a roast chicken from the butcher and some of the potatoes marinated in chicken fat and add a salad and call it a day -- oh and a baguette. When just the two of us do this, we get at least 3 meals from it: roast chicken the first day, chicken sandwiches for lunch and then I make creamed chicken on rice or similar -- and then throw the carcas on to stew and make a soup from the broth adding chicken scraps that have been reserved.

The biggest savings are breakfast. We prefer baguette and good French butter for breakfast -- add coffee and OJ and it is about 20% of what breakfast at a cafe will cost. A baguette is only about a Euro and we never finish a whole one between the two of us for breakfast -- we have enough for a sandwich or two for lunch.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

Find the nearest Picard to your apartment. They sell high quality frozen foods that are really excellent--including desserts.

You could also go to an open air market and pick out a few things to bring home and eat for meals.

Purchase sandwich meats, cheeses, tuna, etc. at a nearby grocery story and then purchase a baguette at the nearest boulangerie (bakery). That's lunch! Ask for a demi-baguette (1/2 a baguette) if a whole one is too much. By the second day, baguettes are as hard as a rock so they need to be eaten within a day. Also, be adventurous and try different types of baguettes.

I agree that a baguette and French butter are heaven for breakfast! I love grapefruit juice and I always have a container of it in my French apartment refrigerator.

Also, French yogurt is absolutely fantastic!

Pastries from a boulangerie or a patisserie are quite inexpensive and make a wonderful breakfast or an afternoon snack.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 06:03
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

Besides Picard, all of the supermarkets have very impressive collections of items that need only be reheated if you don't want to do 'real' cooking.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Picard
Hotel Picard
148 Reviews
Paris, France
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

"Boxed" soups are excellent in France, both the ones you heat up and those you eat/drink cold. Look for Avalle (sp?) gaspacho and several "green" soups in the cold case.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
17,919 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

hi

the first thing to do is find out where the closest mini grocery store is located. You are looking for Franprix, Monop and ..... http://www.franprix.fr/ where you can get condiments like mayo for sandwiches and jam for breakfast and depending on supplies in the apartment maybe tea/coffee.

then each day a stop at the boulangerie for une baguette tradition or for lunch maybe a croissant if you have a sweet tooth. There are some Boulangeries that also have patisseries (pastries) ; then the cheese shop for a small piece of cheese so you can get a new one each day.(great selections of goat cheese) ; then la Charcuterie if you want deli meat; +a wine shop? You should be able to find the latter not far from your apartment.

Then find out if there is an open air vegetable market in the area. We bought oranges at the market for breakfast and found out that there are the ones for juice and then another variety to eat which is a choice we never see in Canada. There is a big difference in taste. at the market we also got stuff to make a salad.

The rotisserie chicken is a good idea and they will sell you half if that is all you need.

this is a link for the days when the open air markets are open paris.fr/loisirs/se-promener-a-paris/a-chaqu…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

Pasta, lardons, crème fraîche and grated cheese. Yum!

Lardons and crème fraîche are much cheaper in French grocery stores than in the US.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
2,396 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

Definitely check out Picard. It takes frozen food to a new level. One of my French friends (a really good cook) uses a Picard entree at least once a week.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Picard
Hotel Picard
148 Reviews
Paris, France
10. Re: Some quick meal ideas when staying at an apartment in Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 23:05