We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to save money on tourist attractions?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to save money on tourist attractions?

I am going to Paris for three weeks ( My first time! yay!) and I want to see everything! I plan on seeing the tourist attractions towards the beginning of my trip and then spend the rest exploring and finding things out of the norm. What is the best thing to do to save money for attractions. I've heard bad things about the Paris Pass and things like that. I know about the free days for museums, and I will try to go on those days, but I dont want to be stuck in a crowd. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to save money on tourist attractions?

Paris Museum Pass?

What attractions do you have in mind?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,960 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to save money on tourist attractions?

Well how old are you.. you can get in the Louvre free on friday nights after 6 if you are under 26. Every friday night. The Orsay has cheaper admission for under 26s at certain times too.. Please READ the offical websites. These discounts are available to citizens of other countries too .. not just EU citizens that get other discounts too.

The Paris pass is not considered a good deal.. but the Paris Museum Pass can be a good deal if you arrange your sightseeing to take good advantage of it..visiting sites grouped closer together in one area of town for instance.

Sit down and try and figure out which sites mean most to you.. the good thing about the museum pass is you will be able to pop into a few places you hadn't thought about before you arrive.

Also. .for the days you have no pass .. remember there are some great free sights. I loved visiting the Shoah Memorial ( Museum) and the Carnavalet is a great little museum and free and in same area!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to save money on tourist attractions?

The City of Paris museums are mostly (or entirely) free, I believe. Not only is Carnavalet free (except for its enticing special exhibits), but it is in a great area where you'll see some amazing medieval/early Renaissance architecture if you stroll down towards the Archives or Rue François Miron.

Churches are free (I think Sacre Coeur may be the exception). In some places, churches are not free (which always puzzles me) but in Paris (and France in general) they are free and they are often simply amazing (you might get a free organ concert or a wonderful soloist practicing, too). Parks are free. There an awful lot of churches and parks.

If you do get the Paris Museum Pass (we found it good value on our first trip), then pack consecutive days with museums (we started with Cluny, did Louvre, L'Orangerie, D'Orsay, Rodin, Napoleon's Tomb on consecutive days - it was a bit much, really, but it was our first trip and we couldn't help it). We didn't have time to see the actual Army Museum nor did we actually have time to eat lunch on one day, but we survived. This was over a four day period. We ended up going back to the Louvre sans passes (at about 12€ per person, the Louvre is a bargain) two more times that visit. We haven't used the pass since then, because we take days off between museum times.

Petit Palais is another city museum (free) and there are many others.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to save money on tourist attractions?

I would suggest getting a really good guide book, even from the public library, and reading about Paris' sites. Ones with pictures are the best as you can visualize yourself there. Make plans to see those attractions that are interesting TO YOU. It is foolish to pay to visit anything that does not make your heart sing. You are visiting Paris, not ticking off finds in a treasure hunt. :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to save money on tourist attractions?

There is a combination ticket for Saint Chapelle and the Conciergerie next door. You must purchase this ticket at the Conciergerie but, if you'd like, you can take your ticket over to Saint Chapelle and begin your sightseeing there.

You can purchase combination discount tickets at the D'Orsay that are for the D'Orsay and L'Orangerie museums or for the D'Orsay and the Rodin museum. If you visit the D'Orsay, you can get a discount within the next week (hold on to your D'Orsay ticket) at the Palais Garnier or at the Gustave Moreau museum (which has been closed for renovations but is supposed to be open again by now).

You can get discounted train tickets called PREMs by purchasing on line either 60 or 90 days in advance. (I haven't done it for awhile so I've forgotten which is correct.)

Occasionally a museum will have a senior discount so be sure to ask.

Metro tickets are cheaper if you buy them 10 tickets at a time. They are called a Carnet for the 10 tickets and anyone can use each of the tickets whether you are the purchaser or not.

If you are in Paris for at least a week, you can get a Metro pass called Navigo Decouverte. It costs $5 for the card and then money is added on the card for the upcoming week. The week must begin on Monday and ends on Sunday. They also have Navigo Decourverte for an entire month too. I think it is from the first day of the month through the last day of the month.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,481 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to save money on tourist attractions?

you are better off getting a museum pass for 4 days and hitting the museums and monuments than bucking the terrible crowds on Free Sundays. I don't know any churches that charge admission -- you should get to St Denis Basilica (check it out in my photo journal if you wonder why) IN that one, you pay for admission to the crypts and tomb area and that is what you are there to see, so you do have an admission there which is totally worth it. You also pay to climb the Notre Dame Tower, but not to visit the sanctuary. The last time I was at SAcre Couer there was no entrance fee but I think it is an ugly church and so have not visited inside since and so there may well be one now.

I like your idea of loading the monuments and museums on the front end and then using the Museum Pass and taking full advantage of it. That also lets you make short visits to places you might otherwise not spend time with or pay to see.

There are also tons of free events like concerts in churches here and there around the city. These are listed in the Pariscope which comes out each week, I think on Wednesday and costs about 50 cents. The parks are beautiful and many and free.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to save money on tourist attractions?

There is a fee at Sacre Coeur to climb the 300+ stairs to the top.

Vedettes de Paris offers discounted tickets for boat rides if you get your ticket on the internet.

Galleries Lafayette has a free 30 minute fashion show every week on Friday at 3pm. You can reserve by email on the Galleries Lafayette site (look for fashion show email address) or by telephone.

Hotel de Ville has an Exhibition Hall that offers free exhibits throughout the year.

Enjoy the free music on the streets and in the Metro stations.

8. Re: Best way to save money on tourist attractions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 06:16