We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheaper coffee if u stand

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
cheaper coffee if u stand

do Parisians actualy sit down and enjoy their coffee or do they stand and run like italians,mostly Rome,if so is it cheaper to order at bar and stand?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheaper coffee if u stand

it depends.

During the morning commute to work, a lot of people stand, but during the rest of the day, it's more common to sit and enjoy your coffee.

Pricing varies -- it's *usually* the most expensive to sit outdoors, a little less to sit at a table, and a little less to stand at the bar, but this is entirely up to the individual establishment.

It will all be posted clearly on the wall.

Do also note that you will not be served food whilst standing up.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,558 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheaper coffee if u stand

these days it is mostly cheap at the bar and more expensive sitting -- the distinction between sitting inside or out is not as common as it once was since the smokers now have to sit outside. in touristy areas the outside prices may still be higher -- it is all posted and you can easily read the bar inside and terrace prices if they make all three distinctions -- or the bar and seated prices if they don't

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheaper coffee if u stand

Both. Today we spent €9 for two cafés and a noisette sitting down at a sidewalk brasserie because we were with friends and had a couple of hours worth of stuff to talk about. In the morning, we stand at the bar and have two cafés for €2 total. In the first case, we were renting a table where we could have as long as we needed to talk with our dear friends.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheaper coffee if u stand

Many cafés are touting a 1€ price for an espresso at the bar these days. But in any case, normally you won't pay more than 1.20€ standing at the bar in Paris. You'll pay double sitting down.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheaper coffee if u stand

<<mostly Rome>>

It's not "mostly Rome." It's everywhere in Italy. But yes,it's cheap to stand at the bar, sometimes a bit cheaper to sit inside, and always the most expensive to sit outside, but well worth it if you are visiting with friends and need to chat or just want to while away the time and read or people-watch.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheaper coffee if u stand

I don't understand this constant statement that it is more expensive to sit outside. Yes, in some extremely rare places, there is an extra charge for sitting outside, but I have personally never encountered it in Paris. And since it became illegal to smoke inside, just about every establishment eliminated any difference in price between inside and outside in order to keep their customers. I would like the people who claim there is a charge for the "terrace" to name at least one establishment that still applies this practice.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheaper coffee if u stand

In your quarter of Paris K2? It's twice the price at a table in our part of town. Don't mean to take you to task but I have yet to see the same price at the bar -vs- a table. At our local haunt, it's €1 at the bar and €2.10 at a table. We've seen that kind of spread all across Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheaper coffee if u stand

And outside? What is the price outside?

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheaper coffee if u stand

OK, at one of the places we frequent, it"s €2.80 on the sidewalk. It just gets more expensive as you get farther from the bar. What's your point?

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheaper coffee if u stand

In my obviously more limited experience, I would say that it is becoming less common for three price levels (comptoir/salle/terrasse) nowadays, probably since the smoking ban came into force, but there are still plenty that do charge more for sitting outside rather than inside. Obviously, everywhere is much cheaper if you stand or sit at the bar.

(But, I bow to the superior knowledge of the locals, even if they disagree with each other :)