We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wait for SNCF sale or buy early?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
907 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Wait for SNCF sale or buy early?

I need to buy a set of 5 TGV tickets for July 2, which should be available for purchase tomorrow, on April 2 (it is not yet available today, April 1, though may be late tonight). This morning I got an email stating that the SNCF sale would be on April 3 and so now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get the tix tomorrow (or tonight, actually) or wait another day. I'd prefer to pay less as these tix are pricey right now, but I'm worried that if I wait until Apr 3, the tix will be snapped up so fast that they'll end up being even more $$$.

I also need tix for July 6, which weirdly ARE available right now for a reasonable price. Again, should I go ahead and get them or wait for the sale and risk the lower levels getting snapped up. It's running 36 Euros Nice-Paris right now per ticket, which seems pretty good to me.

I guess I just wonder how much of a sale this will be (or has been in the past). If it's 10% off sort of thing, then I'd rather just buy now rather than take the risk.

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited: 01 April 2014, 14:25
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
516 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Wait for SNCF sale or buy early?

Hi all

Just booked Paris to Lyon in July with Capitaine trains site

Took less than 5 minutes......

No credit card issues at all.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Wait for SNCF sale or buy early?

I just booked my August 19 tickets on voyages-sncf.com

I tried booking on capitainetrain but it wanted to give my family a 4-top table, even though I selected side-by-side seats. Then when I did a new search, to ditch the table, it said the price went up 24 Euros. But the voyages-sncf site let me buy the seats at the first price - although I was stuck with the same seats I had just released on capitainetrain.

Voyages-sncf rejected my US visa card, so I paid with paypal and it was fine.

And now that particular train is showing the cheapest tickets as E84 on both sites.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Wait for SNCF sale or buy early?

Does anyone know when the August 25th tickets will go on sale? Will it revert to the 90 day rule?

Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
516 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Wait for SNCF sale or buy early?

Spartan, try

http://www.idtgv.com/en/

they have some trains, although maybe not where you are travelling to.......

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Wait for SNCF sale or buy early?

>>Does anyone know when the August 25th tickets will go on sale? Will it revert to the 90 day rule?<<

I would expect that tickets for 25 August will go on sale on 25 May. It is 3 months rather than 90 days.

26. Re: Wait for SNCF sale or buy early?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 05:16