We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Troyes Train

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
575 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Troyes Train

Is the Paris to Troyes train a high speed train that requires an early reservation to lock in the low prices I am seeing on the SNCF website? I had assumed it was, but now I am not so sure....We will be going on a daytrip, and to the extent a reservation is not required, it affords us the flexibility of not being locked into a particular day. Thanks for your help.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Troyes Train

No, they are not high speed, but they are not local trains (TER) either. They are something in between called Intercity, and pricing will be cheaper if you book a few weeks in advance. You can get a one-way ticket for 10€ if booked in advance, while the walk-up cost is around 27€.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Troyes Train

You can always tell if a train requires advance reservations for the lowest prices by checking prices on the SNCF site for a hypothetical journey the next day and that same journey 3 months out and see if there is a price difference. It will also tell you if it is a TGV, Intercités or TER train.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
575 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Troyes Train

Many thanks to you both.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Troyes Train

Some of the trains from Paris to Troyes are indeed Intercities while others are TER. There is little to no difference in the journey time.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Troyes Train

I can't see any TER trains from Paris straight to Troyes. It's all Intercity (and hence for the OP, cheaper if bought in advance).

6. Re: Paris to Troyes Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 05:17