We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Paris

North Bethesda...
1 post
Save Topic
Layover in Paris

My 32 year old son and I have a 7 hour layover in Paris on our way to Morocco. We arrive at 5:35am; figure it'll take about 30-45 minutes to get out of the airport. Do we have enough time to get into the city (our bags will have been checked through) and wander around the Eiffel Tower area (possibly getting something to eat of course) before we need to return? Is the train/Metro the most convenient/reliable/cost wise means of transportation?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Paris

Judi, seven hours is the absolute minimum recommended time to try to get in to the city. Yes, the RER is the fastest, and also the least expensive, way to get into the city.

Familiarize yourself as much as possible with your preferred route, including the Métro/RER system, and be prepared to chuck the plan and get yourself back to the airport at the slightest indication things are going off the rails.

NYC
Level Contributor
137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Paris

I would take a taxi to the Basilica in St.Denis, afterwards grabbing a bite at one of the cafes or bistros on the nearby market street, and then head back to CDG.No stress,no rush.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Paris

I wouldn't. What if you get stuck in surface traffic? Talk about stress.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Paris

I'm assuming then that your ongoing flight is around 12:30. You'll probably want to be back at CDG by 10:30, which means leaving Paris by 9:30. Provided you have no delays you should be able to get into Paris by 7:30, so you'll only have 2 hours in the city.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Paris

There are early morning flights arriving from all over the world. Some ppl get out of the airport in less than an hour but in 3 trips I have not; much longer than that. My first trip -- after we were waiting an hour and did not get even close to passport control some airline workers walked a couple hundred of us to a different part of the airport to get us out.

Just keep an eye on your watch an be ready to bail out on your plan. Minimum one hour to get from Paris to your check-in desk. Make sure you buy your to/from RER tickets at CDG in the morning so you are not waiting in line in the afternoon. Be sure to have euro coin change (10 euros per person) for the ticket machines because I have also waited half an hour in line to get my RER tickets from a human at the counter.

6. Re: Layover in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:17