We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

Indianapolis...
13 posts
Save Topic
Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

I'm a bit freaking out right now, our vacation is a spur of the moment add-on to my husband's business trip. Flight is booked and we allowed for 4 days in London and 4 in Paris. We have a limited budget, and while we are comfortable w/hotel prices, I was shocked just now in learning even at the worst possible times to get the best possible rate, we're looking at $348 for the two of us roundtrip on Eurostar.

Should we look into a cheap flight instead? I'm not even seeing Ryanair goes between the two cities(?). This trip is a small fortune for us, just trying to save where we can. Thank you for any advice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,305 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

Last-minute tickets for Eurostar are always expensive. Are you looking on www.eurostar.com ?

For cheap flights, use www.skyscanner.net to identify the possibilities, then book direct with the airline of your choice. Avoid flights that use Beauvais or Stanstead, as these airports are a long way from Paris and London.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

Where are you looking at fares?

Fares do rise as dates approach. Those "as low as fares" must be booked far in advance.

Are you flying to/from London with round trip to Paris in between?

When considering flying to/from Paris from London, take into account which airport and cost of transfers.

There's plenty to see and do in London if you have to save Paris for another time.

Indianapolis...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

Thank you for your replies. I was looking on Eurostar.com, trying for May 19-23 which doesn't seem too much last-minute but apparently it is.

Yes flying to/from London, with a round trip to Paris in between.

I did look briefly at Ryanair but not knowing locations of these airports (as you mention sydneynick) it's taking quite some time to research it all.

Is the process (in general) quicker/easier getting to Eurostar vs getting through an airport for Ryanair?

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

The Eurostar goes from downtown London to downtown Paris, while many airports are outside a city. It is the case for London and Paris.

Taking a train like Eurostar means that you only need to be at the rail station 45 minutes before departure and the formalities, including scanning your bags, go quickly.

Ryanair, lands in Beauvais, a couple of hours by bus outside Paris.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,305 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

Beauvais airport is 75 km from Paris, and the only sensible transport is a bus that leaves Porte Maillot (at the north-west edge of central Paris) 3h15 before each flight. Stanstead is equally inconvenient for London.

Allowing for the time to get from Paris to CDG or Orly, arriving at the airport 2 hours before departure, waiting for luggage when you arrive, and then getting into London from Heathrow or Gatwick, flying is very much slower than the Eurostar.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

Ryanair do not fly between London & Paris. Have you checked www.skyscanner.net ? I find that EasyJet or Air France usually offer the lowest fares, but try to take only carry on luggage if possible as charges can bump up the fare.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,530 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

London Luton with Easyjet is usually the cheapest option. Planes go to CDG. You can get a train or bus from central London to the airport, but the luggage costs may be an issue, Check it out :

http://www.easyjet.com/en/

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

Last I checked, cheapest Eurostar fares round trip start at £69 ($114), for two, $228, so $348 is not all that shocking at this late date.

9. Re: Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 January 2016, 23:19
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips on lower Eurostar fare from London to Paris?

US$ 348 comes to US$ 87 per person, each way. (That's roughly 53 pounds at today's exchange rate.) Maybe you can get a better fare if you follow the advice above, but it won't be all that much better. It doesn't sound like you have flexibility with dates, but you may have with times of day.

The Eurostar trip is the best option, considering the time, hassle and luggage restrictions of going to and from airports.

-- Steve