We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFR hard wired eithernet using windows 8 and SFR box CNB4 Pr

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marietta, Georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
SFR hard wired eithernet using windows 8 and SFR box CNB4 Pr

Hi,

We will be here for 90 days (this is day 5) and I have most of the infrastructure bugs worked out (maybe).

My French is poor to missing.

I have been unable to direct connect to the SFR box ( Wireless works) and I would really like to have the faster connection.

It is my impression from the little bit of google translate I have used that there may be a problem with windows 8.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SFR hard wired eithernet using windows 8 and SFR box CNB4 Pr

I'm not familiar with the hardware in question but most broadband boxes have a default configuration that is compatible with the default expectations of most operating systems. That means that the computer expects to see a LAN on which it can obtain a private address, gateway, etc., via DHCP. And most boxes are configured to provide this. Diagnosing any problems would require a lot more information.

Windows 8 is itself one giant disaster; you have my condolences if you're stuck with it.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SFR hard wired eithernet using windows 8 and SFR box CNB4 Pr

Agree with Euromanic's opinion of Windows 8 for the record. It may be a mechanical problem like a bad cable or more likely the SFR box. Powering down everything and then re-powering the system solves most problems. The broadband boxes in Europe are literally the same ones used everywhere else. The issues usually arise out of the box establishing a solid connection with the ISP. Our Orange box wants to see a device already connected before it behaves. In it's simplest mode, we would physically connect all the devices and then turn the power on. First the router, then the computer. I'm sure you've already done all this but that's my deux centimes.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SFR hard wired eithernet using windows 8 and SFR box CNB4 Pr

As stupid as Windows8 is, it should auto-configure to any DHCP ethernet connection if there are no physical problems or router issues. The DSL and fiber routers in France present DHCP ethernet access so there should be mutual love between your computer and the SFR router after you re-power everything.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,983 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SFR hard wired eithernet using windows 8 and SFR box CNB4 Pr

Wireless works, a direct connect does not.

Firstly, what speeds are you obtaining with the wireless network.? Our apartment wireless speeds approach 12 Mbps using FREE. There's not much that cannot be done at those speeds.

Secondly, Are you sure you are correctly plugged into the router? Both the router and your laptop should have a small green, possibly yellow, LED illuminated near the RJ-45 connections. If you are sure about the connection, try these steps:

1. Make sure you have disconnected the wireless hook up and deselect the "connect automatically" option. If Windows automatically connects wireless before you can make a wired connection, the wired connection will probably fail.

2. With your cord connected to the router and to your computer, reboot windows. Let the DHCP function of the router do its job. It should freshly assign a new IP address to your network card and you should be able to continue with a wired connection.

Usually, rebooting takes care of the problem. If it doesn't you could reload the network card drivers. There could also be a hardware problem with the network card itself. Are you able to hard wire into other locations? It's difficult to fix problems on a forum but at least your wireless works and most of the wireless speeds in Paris are very fast.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SFR hard wired eithernet using windows 8 and SFR box CNB4 Pr

Twelve megabits per second is enough for everything, even streaming HD video. It's certainly adequate for travel.

If the PC connects by wi-fi, just use that, if it's 12 Mbps. Ultimately wi-fi and wired connections are constrained in speed by the Internet service provider, not by the method of connection.

Some frequent travelers carry around an Airport Express in order to turn any wired connection into a wi-fi connection.

6. Re: SFR hard wired eithernet using windows 8 and SFR box CNB4 Pr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 07:16