We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is May too late into spring to wear a mostly black wardrobe?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Is May too late into spring to wear a mostly black wardrobe?

I understand that a mostly-black travel wardrobe is not appropriate for summer months in Paris if one's goal is to blend in with the locals.

What month do Parisians switch from wearing black as the predominant neutral to lighter colors?

There are dozens of discussions in the Paris forum regarding dressing in layers, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable with the exception of white athletic shoes/trainers, and "no one will be looking at you anyway." However, my goal is to blend in with the locals, at least from a distance, therefore my question about colors.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is May too late into spring to wear a mostly black wardrobe?

I don't think so. My wardrobe is "black and..." because black bottoms are so much more practical. I add a white or ivory top and color with sweaters and scarves.

I spent mid-May through part of June solo in Paris one year with my usual wardrobe and was just fine.

Besides, it's true that no one else will care and also you'll see anything and everything on others.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,237 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is May too late into spring to wear a mostly black wardrobe?

So funereal to do all black all the time: "Widow's Weeds." Think of how your photos will look years from now. On the other hand, doesn't show dirt and you can travel with the smallest handy carry.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 01:55
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is May too late into spring to wear a mostly black wardrobe?

I wear black wool in the cold months, black linen in the warm ones. Colorful accents. Lets me pack light. Always a smart look in the evening. For me a no-brainer. (Also insurance against looking like an Easter egg.)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is May too late into spring to wear a mostly black wardrobe?

I'd say you can keep your outfits half black and don't do all black unless it's evening: wear a black tee with lighter pants or a black skirt and a neutral top. Avoid bright colors and garish prints if you want to look like a local. Instead wear mostly neutrals, add a chic scarf for polish, and find the most elegant but comfortable shoes or sandals for walking, and you'll do well. A black sundress with a little cardigan is always elegant.

5. Re: Is May too late into spring to wear a mostly black wardrobe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 05:16