We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from Paris in September

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Car hire from Paris in September

We will be in Paris in September. Hoping to hire a car to do some travel for approx. 10 days. Will be leaving France and travelling north to Netherlands and Belgium. Does anyone know a good rental company?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from Paris in September

International drop off fees can be very high. Check rates at www.autoeurope.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,118 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire from Paris in September

Two reputable agencies that arrange cheap rentals with the major companies are www.autoeurope.com.au and www.driveaway.com.au

New York
Level Contributor
496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire from Paris in September

I use Avis or Hertz unlimited miles...be sure to rent a GPS if you don't have one.

Unless you are returning the car back to Paris & returning home from CDG Airport, the drop off charges to other countries are herendous.

If you are flying back home from CDG then I would rent the car @ the airport & drop off there, so you will have transportation your day of departure & not have to depend on shuttles....Bus Service etc etc, besides if you already have the car for the day, why take a taxi...you are already paying for the day's car rental

There is a gas station shortly before you enter CDG where you can top off the gas tank.

Depends on where you are flying home from

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire from Paris in September

I know you didn't ask, but at the recommendation of some people on TA, I checked my routes on viamichelin.com. I was surprised to learn that, for example, the train to Rennes from Paris for three people takes half as much time, and costs about E6 less than if we had driven.

You might want to compare routes on via michelin with fares. It might be cheaper *and* faster to take a train to Brussels, and then rent your car, for example.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire from Paris in September

Don't rent a car in France and drop it in Belgium. You'll pay a small fortune. Take the train and pick up a car once there. I always use AutoEurope/Kemwel.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire from Paris in September

I'd say train (www.thalys.com) between Paris and Bruxelles and rent a car if needed in Belgium.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire from Paris in September

We are doing similar in September - except - renting the car in FRA , ending our driving in Eperany and taking the train into Paris as we don't want to deal with driving in Paris itself. Drop off fee is high but we find it worth it, driving and stopping as we like. Using Auto Europe and after a lot of research they had the best rates all around for our dates/time/drop off etc.

8. Re: Car hire from Paris in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 06:16