We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chip & Pin Credit Card

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Chip & Pin Credit Card

I had an interesting experience at Walmart this a.m. I had stopped in on my way to school to pick up some items for science and our Easter party. As I was checking out, I scanned my card like I've done a zillion times before, and the clerk told me my card had a 'chip' in it and from now on, I needed to insert it in a different slot. I was surprised. It's a relatively new card because the original was 'compromised' at Target (along with thousands of others) in December. I had no idea it had a chip in it. (Maybe the 'old' card did too!?) According to the clerk they just got the 'chip' machine yesterday.

So does this mean I have the 'right' card for using all over Paris? Or do I need a 'pin' too? If so, I don't think I have one. At least Citi Card hasn't informed me of a pin, but then again they didn't tell me I had a 'chip' either.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications you can offer! :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chip & Pin Credit Card

No, those chip & signature cards will not work in the automated debit terminals. You'll still need to see a cashier for each purchase. Naturally, they work in ATMs (with a PIN).

Edited: 09 April 2014, 15:40
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,595 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chip & Pin Credit Card

You'd need to clarify this with your card-issuer. Did you read the enlcosures that came with the card in the mail? If there was a change to the card that would be the logical place to find that information.

Most credit cards have PIN numbers - they are mailed to the cardholder a few days after the card arrives.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,902 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chip & Pin Credit Card

If it has a chip, you should be able to see it. It's ~ 1x1 cm metallic lined square embeded in card.

If it has chip, visit you bank and set your PIN - European machines recognize 4 digits.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chip & Pin Credit Card

We have a chip and pin card from Andrews Federal Credit Union...back in 2013 it was one of only three banking institutions that had a chip and pin card offered in the US...we are able to use it for the metro and Velib machines in Paris (where we are again right now!)...sometimes we have to use our PIN, sometimes we have to sign (in Belgium and the Netherlands) but it has only been refused once at the Leiden public parking lot, so it has made travel much easier. There are still some system differences between the US and Europe which make signature necessary, but having the card has made many things much easier compared to our trip in 2012. Hopefully the US will catch up with the rest of the world soon in their credit card design.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chip & Pin Credit Card

As always, Y'all are a wealth of information! Yes, I do have the metallic square! Sadly RaceGirl I didn't even look at the paperwork. I knew the card was coming and so I thought I knew what I was getting. The Mr still has his original card (his wasn't compromised so it wasn't replaced), so I'm going to check to see if he has the metallic square too. If it does, it will mean that I had it all along and just didn't know it!

Again, thanks one and all for the clarifications!

Edited: 09 April 2014, 16:14
Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chip & Pin Credit Card

My wife and I both got a chip card from Citi Mastercard. We contacted them and they sent the pin number we requested by snail mail. We've also had problems at Walmart reading our new card. I think it will work in Paris but I'll know by this time NEXT WEEK!!! YAA!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chip & Pin Credit Card

Congratulations on your upcoming trip Oprah! Please write a trip report!! :D

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chip & Pin Credit Card

Make sure it's really a chip and pin card and not a chip and signature card before you use the pin. I have a chip and signature card from Chase, and they told me I could get a pin for it, but if I used the pin it would be treated as a cash advance rather than a purchase. I don't know what Citibank's doing.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chip & Pin Credit Card

<<if I used the pin it would be treated as a cash advance rather than a purchase. I don't know what Citibank's doing.>>

I don t think Citibank knows or at least not the people telling you this. The user does not have a choice as to whether the PIN is needed or not. It shouldn´t make any difference anyway because neither Citibank nor Chase have pin and chip cards, they only issue pin and signature.

The statement from Citibank (or Chase) is probably in reference to your using a credit card at an ATM which is a cash advance with heavy fees; not in reference to making a purchase.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 13:29
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chip & Pin Credit Card

Yes, definitely check with your bank. I have a chip and signature card too. No pin. They are rare here i the US.