We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Chartier is a good idea?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Topic
Is Chartier is a good idea?

Hi,

Been reading bout this restaurant, it is cheap for french food. Want to know how is the food? I am not expecting much but want to taste real french as not many french authentic in Indonesia.

If im staying at antin trinite 75009. Would having dinner here be a good idea?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Chartier is a good idea?

I am not sure Chartier is the place for anything authentic except atmosphere perhaps. Expect the food to be similar to that of a school cafeteria.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Chartier is a good idea?

the place has character, but it is now known for poor quality food

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,052 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Chartier is a good idea?

For the history and decor, yes. For the food, no. (But, at least it's not costly.)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Chartier is a good idea?

Chartier has never been known as a gastronomic experience, but its French food is totally authentic.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Chartier is a good idea?

Go by all means but make it an early lunch or dinner.

The food in Chartier is not that cheap in my opinion and is more often bad than good.

Keep it simple ehhs mayonaise, salad to begin)....maybe go for the dish of the day which can often be edible.

Avoid steak and fish.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Chartier is a good idea?

It used to be nice, but food quality has indeed plummeted to sub-microwave standard.

A braserie would probably be more interesting for you. The ones in the Opera district (Café de la Paix, Grand Café...) having a not so interesting value for money, I'd take advantage of a half day spent in the Latin Quarter to head to Brasserie Balzar almost next to Sorbonne. Excellent tartare, andouillette and baba au rhum (their poultry dishes being less interesting IMO). Decor is not as traditional as Chartier but still plenty authentic.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 07:19
Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Chartier is a good idea?

seanbee - was that a typo - "ehhs mayonnaise"?? Or are you recommending the "oeufs mayonnaise" ; )

Agree with everyone that the food is not worth getting excited about, and it's not that cheap, if you go for entree-plat-dessert for everyone. The decor is classic, but the ambiance is annoying - like eating in a pretty bus station.

Although Chez Clement is a chain restaurant, it serves what many people expect, when they think about "traditional French food" - it's inexpensive but decent food, and kid-friendly, too. The daily specials run under 20 EU for a meal, and are always "like grandma used to make". I believe there is one near the Opera, which isn't far from you.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Chartier is a good idea?

Pattykins I meant ehhs mayo!

;-)

If you are staying near Trinite pop into Au General Layfayette at least for a drink as the decor is nice and food generally good.

Agree Chez Clement food is better than Chartier.

I do think Chartier is worth a look though but, again, go early

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Chartier is a good idea?

Chartier is an old restaurant that originally catered to the working class. It has lots of atmosphere and is interesting for that. The food is ordinary, service is fast but not overly friendly, prices are very affordable. Essentially it still looks and operates like it always has, for better or for worse. Go for the atmosphere of the place but don't expect fancy food. I just get hamburger steak and fries when I go. You may be seated with strangers,especially at busy times. See my review for details.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Chartier is a good idea?

Chartier was busted by a French investigative reporter for French TV for serving frozen microwave dinners a couple of years ago. They literally heated up frozen dinners and transferred them to plates.