We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Bruges

Thornhill, Ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Bruges

My husband and I will be in Paris on October 30 and depart November 5. We would like to go to Bruge for one day, probably between October 31 to November 4. Can someone recommend the most economical way to get there and back in one day. Once there, how can we make the most of our time, see the major sights, and pack in what needs to be done. I understand Saturday, November 1 is a holiday. How will this holiday affect us if we go on that day? Thanks for any advice rendered.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,247 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Bruges

This is not practical as a day trip. The fastest journeys by train take 2.5 hours each way, with a change in Brussels.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
436 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Bruges

Some friends and I did it as a day trip from Paris. We took a very early train and spent most of the day there. We were able to enjoy wandering leisurely through the town. We saw a lot in that time and had time to enjoy the specialties and return with chocolates to bring home. It is a charming place to visit so I hope it works out for you to get there. You might also want to post on the Bruges site for ideas of what to do there. Enjoy!

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Bruges

Have a look at www.capitainetrain.com 3 months before travel date for the best fares. On 1 November many things may be closed. You should check websites of sites to check.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Bruges

Plenty of people do this trip. It would be a long day and quite a bit of the rail travel would be in, at best, half light at that time of year, but the countryside is not particularly scenic.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Bruges

I love Bruges. Have you looked at Thalys tickets? You can buy an ABS ticket (all belgian rail stations). The ABS ticket allows you to take any Belgian rail once you get into Brussels -- so your train to Bruges will be included in the price. We bought tickets from Paris to Brussels for a trip in a few months and it was 29 Euro/person. For an ABS, it's probably only a few euros more. Do buy a few months in advance for the best price.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
519 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Bruges

We haven't been to Bruges, but we have taken a day trip that entailed a 2 1/2 hour train trip there and back and although it seems like a long time to travel just for the day, it wasn't bad at all. It was actually nice to have some time to catch up on sleep, write in the journal, and have some "quiet time" in the middle of a busy trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
127 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Bruges

I took a day trip from Paris to Bruges this past February. I caught the 8:00 am high speed Thalys train via Brussels and was walking in Bruges' city center by 11:00 am. Because my time was limited, I followed Rick Steves' walking tour and even ventured a bit out of the city center to have lunch at one of the oldest pubs in town. I climbed the Belfry, toured City Hall and had time to take many photos and shop for chocolates. The historic city center is not that big. I caught a 4:30 pm train back to Paris. It was a great experience and doable in a day if you are motivated and have a plan but . . . had I known how lovely Bruges would be, I would have stayed overnight. In my opinion, it was definitely worth checking it out for a day. There are earlier and later trains you can take to maximize your time; however as someone above rightly indicated, your daylight hours will be limited, as they were for me in February. It is a long day and just know you will probably be tired the day after. You may want to take that into consideration seeing as your time in Paris sounds rather limited.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
879 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Bruges

Bruges is an easy city to tour in one day as most attractions are in the smallish city center. It is not the easiest day trip from Paris as you have to take the train all the way to Brussels and then transfer and take another train to Bruges. I recommend that you stay the night in Bruges and go back to Paris the next morning (just take a small overnight bag and leave the rest of your stuff in your Paris hotel room).

Also, you should post the Bruges November 1st holiday question on the Bruges forum.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,796 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Bruges

tour companies offer Bruges day trip from Paris ..also an option

francetourisme.fr/tours-day-trip-in-france/b…

pariscityvision.com/en/europe/belgium/bruges

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris to Bruges

If you take the early train to Bruge, it most certainly can be a day trip and preferred. I have made the trip and stayed over for the evening. While lovely and charming - it's a day visit.