We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
310 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

Everyone wants to look "fashionable" in this most fashionable of cities, but with tourists EVERYWHERE pretty much anything goes. Heres some thoughts:

No sweatpants or sweatsuits. No flannel jammy bottoms, rubber flip flops or maxi skirts.

You will need a lightweight jacket. The fashionable of both sexes wear leather moto jackets in black:: some ladies wear trench coats. Some shorty wool coats for the ladies and casual blazers for trendy men. but these are bulky to pack. There are a lot of the Uniglo puffy kind of jackets;I suspect they are tourists. No gloves.

Tennis shoes are everywhere and not in white. The young and teens wear converse and tie up lightweight doc martens in black, and brown. Ankle boots for women are everywhere:some knee high boots in black. Just make sure they are super comfortable..you'll be walking a lot. Some sandals seen as it is getting warmer. Some heels but not towering ones and probably a local.

Teen boys wear converse and sneakers.Young men wear leather loafer type shoes often with a square or somewhat pointy toe. They are more European looking than u.s.

Every women wears a scarf. Some of the hip men do--young and old--but the women all do.

Teen and young girls wear very short black knit skirts with black tights. They also wear denim shorts/short denim cut offs with black tights.

I only saw one woman with a hat. Grandmas will wear wool beanies. Only tourists wear berets.

Older men wear fedoras on occasion:some young men wear the pork pie hat or baseball caps

Pants are narrow or pegged. Did not see any jeggings. Denims are often rolled up about two inches from lower hem.

If you go somewhere fancy, a cotton dress shirt for a man, and a nice day dress for woman. Maybe you'd go dressy for the Opera but not in general.

Oddly we saw blacks, browns and greys predominate the woman's clothes. The younger men have often embraced the hot colored denims...blue, orange, been, red.

Just remember, no one is judging you and have fun!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,354 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

Am betting on this thread! 10 pages and more.....

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

So nothing's changed much in at least 20 years.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

I guess I'm going to HAVE to learn how to wear a scarf! I usually only wear one in the winter.. a big warm one. And I'll have to buy a few as well. I'll make it first on my shopping list upon arrival.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 20:12
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

even at the Opera it is mostly smart casual, a cocktail dress perhaps but no tuxes and long gowns

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

It's not just the tourists who wear the Uniqlo puffy jackets, but they are now disappearing for the season. Will they be back next autumn? Who knows?

Grace, a lot of the scarves being worn are the ultra light cotton Indian print ones. 2 for 10 euros at Les Halles.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 20:28
New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

What do you think will they being wearing in the heat of the summer?

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

I have never seen "flannel jammy bottoms" anywhere. I looked up "flannel jammy bottoms" in Google and saw only pj bottoms. Surely that isn't right.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,754 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

PJ's =pajamas = jammy's

Edited: 14 April 2014, 22:08
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

MrandMrsJAS, just go shopping at Wal-Mart in the deep South and you will see that.

CA
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Notes on clothes I'm seeing in Paris

Really? No maxi skirts? They are so comfortable and easy to pack. So bummed..