We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO Apartments

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
464 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO Apartments

Wondering what are people's take on using this site to book vacation rentals in Paris?

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO Apartments

I've rented off this site in the past. When I rent, no matter what agency the property is affiliated with, I always look at the reviews and so far (knock on wood) I have not been burned yet. I only choose rentals with good reviews.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO Apartments

Cool--This will be my first time and in Paris...I guess most owners us a standard contract between parties-The reviews are good, but just worried........

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO Apartments

A property listed on VRBO is only as good as its owner since VRBO is only a portal for individual owners to market their properties and it's not an agency. You may also check homeaway.com (same concept, just a personal preference).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO Apartments

Ron_Phoenix--I believe the apartment I am looking for is on both sites-Is there no way to verify the unit and or the owners?

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO Apartments

You can post the link to the apartment and people will weigh in. They may "see" something that you may not notice.

I typically spend hours upon hours researching until something just seems to sit well with me. I had chosen a property for this summer in Normandy and was all ready to commit to it, but when it came down to all the paperwork the owner wanted me to read and agree to I was put off the property. I understand that there must be agreements we as renters must abide by, but it has been my experience that it need not be difficult or confusing. I wound up going with another property. Time will tell whether or not my husband and i will be satisfied with the property. Hopefully we will. So far so good in all the places we've rented and we have rented 10 or more over the last ten years.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO Apartments

I get worried about signing these contracts and showing up and there's no apartment etc....Did you need to get our liability insurance etc....is that a law in France? but I'm sure it's for your best interest if something does happen...Is that different than the travel insurance the VRBO advertises for

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,595 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO Apartments

If you've never been to Paris, and never rented a vacation apartment I would suggest using a a well reviewed agency with known apartments, an apart-hotel or staying in a hotel. I cannot imagine risking my hard-earned vacation money on an unknown.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: VRBO Apartments

I would recommend posting your selections- having never been to Paris, you may not know the area your apartment is in, and that is something else to consider along with the reputation of the agency. Some of the local people on TA can give you input on the locale and the agency.

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VRBO Apartments

I had the worst experience renting from a VRBO in Hawaii this past summer. The homeowner was the worst! He even tried to sue me for an additional $200 for "excessive use of his electricity" 2 months after our vacation. Ridiculous. So much so that I'm never using a VRBO again. I'm sure many others have had successful and happy vacations but that was not my experience. Caveat emptor.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VRBO Apartments

I've used VRBO several times, both in USA and in France, and all rentals have gone well. There are no guarantees, of course, but with several positive reviews, that's a good sign. Sometimes it's also good to see a review with a minor complaint and see how the owner has dealt with that.

But, as others have said, post the site so maybe someone who has stayed there can provide some feedback on the place.

Good luck!