We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outlet Plugs

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Outlet Plugs

Hi Fellow Travelers!

I have never traveled to Europe before and we are about to leave for Paris and Rome in a few weeks.

We were going to purchase European outlet connectors but wasn't sure if they were different from Paris to Rome, or if they were the same.

We figure we need outlets for our phones and my hair dryer. Given the different level of electricity both of these would need, is there a stronger plug you would recommend?

Thank you so much!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Outlet Plugs

Plugs are the same throughout continental Europe. They are different in the British Isles (UK and Ireland).

You won't need anything else for phone, laptops and such as they all work on dual voltage. However your hair dryer won't work unless it is a dual voltage and can take 220-240 V. Otherwise don't bother bringing it as you will fry it. Your hotel or apartment will probably have a hair dryer or you can buy a cheap one in Europe or buy a mini travel one before you leave.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outlet Plugs

Plugs "should" be the same but at times they are notin Rome last year, the brand new apartment we rented had two different types of plugs!! I always bring a multiple outlet source so that I can plug several units into one source. Have used them successfully for years in both Europe and Asia and I would not leave home without one.

New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Outlet Plugs

Would you mind sharing which plug you purchased?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outlet Plugs

Go to Amazon they have lots there. One of those is Monster. You will still need a plug adapter.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 17:05
New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Outlet Plugs

Sorry for the silly questions :) So I need a plug and adapter? Really appreciate your help :)

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Outlet Plugs

Just get a europlug: amazon.com/Samsung-US-Euro-Plug-Adapter/dp/B…

or an international plug adapter since it doesn't cost more. http://tinyurl.com/n469fer

Your nearest Best Buy or Radio Shack should have that.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,977 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outlet Plugs

Make sure that your hair dryer is dual voltage and turn the switch when you pack it so you don't forget on arrival.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Outlet Plugs

All you need is plug adapters so that your plugs fit into European outlets. It just changes the shape of the prongs, it does nothing to alter the voltage.

A voltage converter would be necessary only for appliances that work only on 110 V. Cell phones, tablets and laptops all work on dual voltage so you don't need a converter.

If your hair dryer only works on 110 V then you would need a converter but no one will recommend that. It's never a good idea, it's bulky and you cannot be sure it won't fry your appliance anyway. That is why I said if your hair dryer only works on 110 V, do not bring it. Either ask your hotel or apartment for one or buy a dual voltage one before you leave or buy one in Europe.

New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Outlet Plugs

You are all the best, thank you so much for the explanations!! :) I'm so excited, we leave in couple of weeks!!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,797 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outlet Plugs

HI

some of the universal adapters have USB connections that you can use to charge you phones without the brick; all you need to bring is the usb cables.