We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knowing this, where do you recommend we stay?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Knowing this, where do you recommend we stay?

Hi there,

We have a day trip to London we want to take, leaving out of Gare du Nord. We have to be there at 6 am for check in. I know taxis are not reliable, especially that early and the metro (I think?) does not start that early.

I was thinking selecting a hotel where we can just walk to the train station, but that obviously limits us on where we can stay.

I am nervous of selecting a hotel outside of walking distance of Gare du Nord in case we cannot get a taxi that early in the morning but I don't particularly want to stay at a hotel near Gare du Nord either.

What do you recommend, and how would you do this? Any tips here?

Thanks!!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knowing this, where do you recommend we stay?

Taxis are perfectly reliable. Why would you think otherwise? Call G7 the night before for a pickup. And the métro starts running sometime around 5 am. I don't see the problem.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knowing this, where do you recommend we stay?

I absolutely agree with St. Cirq. In fact, here's the English speaking operator's # 01 41 27 66 99. Call the night before and a taxi will deliver you safe and sound...and timely too :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
872 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knowing this, where do you recommend we stay?

St. Cirq is right just call for a taxi the night before - G7 taxi or I use ATS taxi - +33 660222713 or +33 603911716. As far as a hotel, most recommend staying in the 1-8 arrondissements for a somewhat central area with the 4th, 5th and 6th being the most popular. I actually prefer the 2nd myself. Lots of nice hotels to choose from in Paris. Give us a budget per night in Euros - and lots of the experts here can recommend a nice place to stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Knowing this, where do you recommend we stay?

I had read several places (blogs, websites, etc, and even some posts on here) about taxis being unreliable, especially during rush hour which is what I assume our commute would be, so I was a little nervous is all. If we did not have to absolutely be on time I wouldn't be so worried, but we do!

Thanks for the G7 rec's guys, I appreciate it!!

S33333, I had heard that the 4th-6th were pretty popular too, I think we'll end up there myself!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knowing this, where do you recommend we stay?

hi

There is light traffic at 5:30 am which is when you need to travel. G7 works really well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,795 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knowing this, where do you recommend we stay?

we have used G7 many many times for trips to the airport and they have always appeared about 5 minutes or so early regardless of the time we ordered them for. we always have a plan B for in case a cab doesn't show, but have never had to use it yet. I always add about 10 minutes to my time in the morning in case plan B is necessary.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Knowing this, where do you recommend we stay?

Looks like G7 is the winner! Thanks guys!!

8. Re: Knowing this, where do you recommend we stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 05:16