We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eurostar travel question

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
eurostar travel question

Hi...have just got back in to organising our upcoming trip in September after a long lay off searching and questioning!!

Have rearranged our itinerary to now travel from London to Paris (3 days), then on to Rome via either Milan or Turin to pick up our cruise. I work with an airline and have to admit I only fly when I have to as I hate it! Looking at now travelling by train thru the tunnel but I have to say I struggle with being enclosed so wondering if anyone has the same feelings and has done this trip, and if so how did you find it.? I guess I am more afraid of the possibility of the train stopping and then being stuck in the tunnel for a period of time.

Second question is on taking the train to Dover and the ferry across to Calais and on to Paris...doesnt look as simple though..

thanks in advance

Gail

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eurostar travel question

Well, I have been stopped in the tunnel before, for about 20-30 mins. I have been caving/pot holing and had a panic attack then but was ok in the tunnel, even stopped, as it just appears dark and you know there are "escape routes" if anything should go wrong but you may feel differently of course.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eurostar travel question

<I have to say I struggle with being enclosed so wondering if anyone has the same feelings and has done this trip>

Have you ever travelled on an underground train ? Eurostar is in the Channel Tunnel for about 20 minutes: less time than it takes to travel underground from one end to the other of the main Brussels metro line. While the train goes through the Channel Tunnel, you don't really notice what's outside. To me, it's just like travelling by train in the dark. I've been travelling on Eurostar ever since it started 20 years ago. I must have made well over 100 journeys - I've long since lost count.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,380 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eurostar travel question

Obviously I can't speak for you, but I hardly even notice when the train is in the tunnel. There is no feeling of 'being enclosed', but that is just my perception.

Would you feel the same in the métro?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
68 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eurostar travel question

I had the same concerns but discovered I was worrying over nothing. The underground part of the trip is a fraction of the time on the train and as long as you've got something to keep you company - a person, a book, a cup of coffee or a drink - you will be fine. As others have said, it's just like traveling through the countryside in the dark. Enjoy!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eurostar travel question

As others have said, it's only 22 minutes underground, and you won't notice unless you are paying very close attention to what you see out the windows. If you have ever taken a subway, you should be fine, since even they can get stuck underground - often very, very deep underground and often underwater, too. Just something to help put things in perspective...

On the other hand, before the Eurostar was conceived, and if one was not a terrific swimmer or good with a pair of oars, the only two choices to get from England to France were by Hovercraft or Ferry. Both take longer than Eurostar, and are more expensive, IME. (the last time I used them was in 1988), I always travelled in September or October, and can recall hanging onto the deck railings, while desperately trying not to be seasick. I wasn't - unlike everyone else who stayed inside - but had a hard time rinsing off all the salt that covered every inch of my hair and clothing...

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,415 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eurostar travel question

The introduction of the Eurostar was wonderful. No longer did it mean that disjointed train - shuttle bus - ferry - train journey from London to Paris that took all day. And now the trains no longer go to Calais-Maritime you can add an extra shuttle bus there too.

If you go that route you will arrive in Paris wishing you had just put up with 22 minutes in a tunnel.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: eurostar travel question

Most people spend the journey through the tunnel fast asleep.

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eurostar travel question

Gail,

I had the same concerns before traveling from London to Paris via Eurostar. So much so that my doctor prescribed me an anti-anxiety drug, just in case. Well, I've made the (round) trip three times now and haven't felt the need to pop a pill yet. Of course the train has sailed through the underground portion without stopping. If we had run into problems I might have needed one.

The Eurostar is fast and comfortable. I highly recommend it!

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
97 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eurostar travel question

There's no need to be worried about it... I've done Paris-London with the Eurostar last year and couldn't ever notice the tunnel part of the trip. Is really smooth... Take your smartphone or a tablet with some entertaining games on it and the time will fly... Eurostar is the best choice, IMHO, as you'll leave from one city's heart to another and that will make a whole lot of difference considering both cities' airports are quite far from the centre... :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eurostar travel question

thank you all so much....you have given me confidence to tackle the tunnel. Funny when I was younger I had no issues with tunnels etc, but now they are something I try and avoid if I have the choice. Flying I feel takes ups to much time getting to airports, checking in because you have to be there so early, then the flight and at the other end getting thru customs and on ones way again!

So looking forward to this journey and at least going through the English channel tunnel I should be able to cope with the train tunnels through mountains from France to Italy!

cheers

Gail