We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

Bonjour.

My husband and I are going for our first (7 night) trip to Paris. We are a little concerned about how to safely store/carry our valuables while visiting sites.

We have rented an apartment via airbnb. It has good reviews but I am still concerned about leaving my valuables at the apartment while being out for the whole day. I have read that carrying backpacks is not the best idea either. How about carrying the backpacks on the front instead of the back? Or do we have to get some special travel jackets with lots of pockets? It iwll be kida hot when we go so not sure its a good idea. How about a side bag?

Any tips/ideas are welcome.

Ile de France
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

Wear your handbag across your shoulder and underneath your jacket. Keep valuables in inside pockets. Pickpockets are active on metron (underground) trains, and mobile phones are frequent targets.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

Good advice from lagatine. Wearing backpacks on your front not only looks foolish, it screams " I'm a nervous tourist." I wouldn't worry about leaving things in an apartment, either.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
202 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

We rented an apartment and left our passports and the majority of our cash in the apartment in my original travel bag. We carried enough cash for the day plus one credit card. You really don't want to carry all your cash around with you... I don't even do that at home.

If you're really that concerned about leaving your valuables in the apartment, that's a whole other issue and perhaps you shouldn't rent the apartment?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,080 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

What "valuables" do you need to carry with you? I only carry what I need for the day - some cash and a debit card. I leave everything else in the apartment. Would you carry "valuables" with you if you were e tourist in Toronto?

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

Do you have the apartment to yourself, or is it a room in someone's home? If you have it to yourself, I would not hesitate to leave your things there (that is what we do), but if you are sharing space, then I would take extra precautions.

As far as out and about, I just use a cross-body bag that has some pockets inside that zip. I keep my passport & credit card in one of them; I do not carry a lot of money at once and that is also in an inside pocket, though more easily accessible. My camera is carried around my neck.

If it is cold enough for a jacket, then I do put the purse on first, then the jacket on top.

Except for the fact that i usually do not use a cross-body bag at home, I do not do anything too differently than when I am out and about here in San Diego.

6. Re: How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2017, 00:30
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,674 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

If you are subletting a room and are nervous get a good money belt -- the sort worn under the clothes and put cash and passport and extra credit cards etc there. Carry one credit card and ID and the day's money in a more accessible spot.

If you are renting an apartment to yourself, you will probably find it has a very secure door. There is no defense against dishonest landlords of course which is why you want lots of reviews and to have confidence in the landlord.

A backpack on the front is ridiculous. And on the back is an easy target. If you are worried about laptops and such don't bring one -- there is no way to secure it in an insecure place and carting it around all day is a real ball and chain.

Or consider renting a hotel room with safe.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,991 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

If you behave exactly as you do in Toronto you will be fine. The thing to remember is that although you might be on vacation, the criminal elements won't be. Crime in Paris is verty much crime of opportunity - if your stuff is unguarded it may go missing, and you won't notice until after the event.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,322 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

The US embassy is Paris is full of tourists who need new emergency passports because they were pick pocketed, often from "safe" travel bags, Of the ten or so times I have been there, I have never once heard of a couple having them stolen from a hotel or apartment rental. Your belongings are much safer at the flat.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to handle passports, money and other valuables in Paris?

Leave stuff in apartment,, just take a days cash and your canadian Drivers license.. I take mine and use it for collateral at museums when they ask for passport instead when renting audio guides.. both Orsay and Louvre do.. and both have taken my BCDL.

Take a days cash out with you only.

I wear a nice black bag... purse sized messenge type .. worn cross body. It is not a special travel bag.. just a bag I got at the Bay.. it has a flap that clicks shut over the zippered top.

Travel vests look silly,