We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
484 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

I'm working on a Paris itinerary for a second visit. The only things I'm repeating on this visit that I did last year are the Louvre (because my art major husband feels like we rushed through it) and Orsay (for the Van Gogh exhibit). It rained daily the first visit so I'm looking forward to fitting in some picnics this time!

I think I've checked all the open hours. I'm planning on getting a 4-day Paris Pass and activate it on Monday, so something to keep in mind. I'm going to mostly keep lunch open and make dinner reservations for around 8 pm. I have a few restaurants in mind, but please feel free to give any recommends, esp for Sunday.

Day One Saturday: (half day after train from London arriving around 2pm): Exploring Rue Montorgueil, probably with a stop at Patissier Stohrer; Dinner at Les Papilles (Question: Is Saturday afternoon a good time for this area, i.e., things are open, etc.)

Day Two Sunday: Exploring Le Marais (self-guided walk starting at Bastille) with a stop at Marche de la Bastille market and Place des Vosages; Dinner ???? for birthday!

Day Three Monday: Opera Garnier either guided or self-guided tour, Galleries Lafayette, Printemps, and if I'm not too tired, move on to Left Bank places - Bon Marche, Longchamps and Poilane bakery; Napoleon's Tomb and Orsay (but may save these for another day). Just a note: I'm not planning on doing major shopping, but I haven't been to any of these stores and I esp want to see the views from the rooftops of Lafayette and Printemps. I want to browse mostly, but buy a Longchamps bag and chocolate and pastries from Pierre Herme and Gerard Mulot; mustard, honey from Opera Garnier. Anyone had Franck Kestener chocolate on Left Bank? There are NO reviews of his shop!

Day Four Tuesday: Perhaps Auvers-sur-Oise Day Trip (but should probably decide between this and Versailles to have more time for the Left Bank stuff I have on Monday)

Day Five Wed: Versailles Day Trip (Since I didn't go before,but playing with the idea of Brugges instead. This is here since it's less crowded on Wednesdays.)

Day Six Thur: Sainte-Chapelle and Louvre (I hate to leave the Louvre for the last day in case there's a strike, but this seems to be the least busy day to visit and it's closed Tuesday.)

Leaving early Friday.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

Hi, I see a few things with your itinerary that I would question.

Firstly, you say the 'Paris Pass' - do you mean the really expensive transport pass + Museum Pass OR just the Museum Pass? Either way, I don't think it is worth it if you go to the places on your itinerary.

If you do mean the Museum Pass, it looks to me you will be wanting to use it for the following attractions:

- Monday - Orsay (see second point) & Invalides

- Tuesday - nothing?

- Wednesday - possibly Versailles, but you may go to Brugges instead

- Thursday - Saint Chapelle and Louvre

So yeah, I don't think it would be worth the money to buy the pass. Just buy individual tickets online where you can, or at FNAC once you get to Paris (especially for Orsay and Versailles).

Secondly, you want to visit the Orsay on Monday? It's actually closed on this day. Perhaps you could see the Louvre instead on the Monday, and then Orsay on Tuesday when the Louvre is closed?

Thirdly, you are only in Paris for 6 days, but 2 of these you want to go on day trips? Including a potentially really long day trip to Brugges. Could you not go directly to Brugges from London, overnight there and then make your way to Paris?

I (personally) think you need to rethink what/where you want to go on this trip and redo your itinerary.

But the good thing is..... planning is almost as fun as the trip itself :)

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

Great suggestions above. I will also add, I would do Orsay first, especially for a popular exhibit, then shopping.

For shopping, 4 department stores in one day is overload for me. Esp if you don't want ot do major shopping!

Saturday afternoon is a great day for rue Montorguiel Pompidou museum isn't too far and open late, has good art ;-) and a nice scene around the museums.

Enjoy your trip!

United States
Level Contributor
484 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

Chazwazza, yes, I meant the museum pass. The itinerary is still rough, but I'm trying to put the things that would use the pass together. I don't want to do the Louvre on Monday because that's the most busy day to visit. Also, looks like the pass covers the Opera Garnier tour as well, which I have down for Monday. However, looks like Orsay is the thing I forgot to check. I'll probably move the Left Bank stuff for another day with Orsay and Invalides.

I need to figure it out money-wise if the pass is worth it, but I hate to wait in lines. The pass allows you to skip the security lines at the Louvre, and ticket lines at other places. I got the pass on my first trip to Paris last year and felt like it was worth it. However, I'm not doing as many pass things this trip. I may go the option to buy tickets in advance.

I thought about going directly to Brugges from London, but didn't want the hassle of adding yet another location for finding a hotel. I wanted to keep it simple and book all the nights in Paris and only do a day trip. We stayed in Paris the entire 5 days last year, and didn't even venture out as far as Versailles. I'm just having trouble deciding between Auvers-sur-Oise, Versailles and Brugges. I know Brugges may not be realistic. I'm leaning toward Versailles.

Rasteriasha,

I've already seen Pompidou, so probably skipping it this time around.

Question: Could you tell me the hours of the Rue Montorgueil market? I want to make a note of which days and times it's active, but can't seem to find it. I feel like perhaps many of the shops (like Patissier Stohrer) are open regardless, but it's the stalls I would miss going at a different time. I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy.

Another question:

Did the Eiffel Tower tour at sunset last year and it was terrible. I had booked in advance so had no choice but to go up in the cold April pouring rain. Freezing and miserable. Should I try this again? I hear the sunsets are great from up there. I'm leaning toward just doing a day picnic near the tower and not going back up.

Going to post a revised itinerary soon.

Thanks for the help.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

I am confused by the reference to stalls on Rue Montorgeuil. I have been on that street a couple of times and do not recall seeing any free standing stalls. All the "stalls" were outdoor displays or stands for the stores on the street. In any event, I believe that most stores on the street are open every day except Monday from around 10 AM to around 6 PM except that they are open only in the morning on Sundays. Have a great trip.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

Rue Montorgeuil is a market street - regular grocery stores, fromageries and bakeries/patisseries stay open all day, but butchers, fishmongers and fruit/veg stands usually close for a couple of hours at mid-day - hours run from about 08h30 - 13h00, then 16h00 - 19h30. Many shops will be closed Sunday and Monday, and those that are open will close by around 13h00.

Stohrer is an excellent shop, but I wouldn't go across town for anything else on that street. As far as the other food options, you will probably be much happier visiting the Bastille market on Sunday morning - actual hours of operation are from 09h00 to 13h00.

Ambassade d'Auvergne, near the Centre Pompidou, would be a good choice for a special dinner - you will need to reserve a couple of days in advance, and ask to sit upstairs.

I didn't know you could skip any security lines with any pass...are you sure about this?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,959 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

NB: We spent about an hour in the line to enter Orsay last week. Make sure to buy your tickets on line in advance and skip the line. The Van Gogh exhibit is not to be missed (as well as many things in the museum's permanent collection).

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

The Musée d'Orsay is closed Mondays, and no, the Museum Pass does NOT allow you to skip security lines. It allows you to skip ticket lines. You may still have significant waiting time at the Louvre and Orsay for security.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,959 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

There is a separate entrance (entrée C) with separate security screening in Orsay Museum for people who have prebooked their tickets online. Have no idea about passes.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
61 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

I think that free walking tours could also be fun idea

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rough Paris Itinerary - Please review

My biggest piece of advice learned on my last trip to Paris: do not do two day-trips back-to-back.

This was my 4th trip to Paris and i really wanted to see both Auvers-sur-Oise and revisit Versailles. We did them back-to-back as that is just the way the timing worked, and it was too exhausting, with knowing we had to catch trains, crowds, etc.

Plan to only do one or to spread them out - one towards the beginning, one towards the end.