We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

Bonjour.

I am planning my 7 day itinerary for my first trip to Paris in early September. I have shortlisted the sites I would like to see and I am now trying to group them together to figure out which ones can be visited together, say on the same day - or just together in general. We are staying in Arrondissement 5, near Rue Mouffetard.

Here is the list of places:

Louvre

Luxemnbourg garden

Musee D'Orsey

Chateau De Versailles

Notre Dame

Catacomb

Eiffel Tower

Jardin de Tuelieres

Sainte-Chapelle

Centre Pompidou

Place des Vosges

Arc De Triomphe

Sacre-Coeur

Jardin des Tuileries

Pantheon

Parc Monceau

I am ok to remove some of them off my list if recommended. I want my trip to be relaxed and fun, not running around to see as many places as I can.

Arboretum du bois de Vincennes
Gardens, Parks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Parc Kellermann
Gardens, Playgrounds, Parks
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

Don't go all the way to Parc Monceau just for the park. See Musee Nissim de Camondo (sp?) while you're right there - it backs up to the park. You can bunch that in the same day with the Arc.

Plan to line up at the Catacombs well before it opens for the day. Same with the Notre Dame towers if you plan to climb them. Otherwise the lines are very long.

Louvre is basically IN the Tuileries. Notre Dame & St Chapelle are 5 minutes walk from each other. Place des Vosges is near Pompidou. The Pantheon is 10 minutes walk from Luxembourg Gardens, both of which are close to your hotel so they might make a nice introductory afternoon on the day you arrive & are jetlagged. Any guide book at all will have much of this information. Obviously you are going to group the things that are right next to each other together so you avoid crisscrossing town all week long. Mark all the sites on a map of the city, and they group themselves. Just try to avoid multiple "big" sites on the same day. For instance, don't plan the Louvre & Versailles on the same day.

Begin your planning by marking down the days of the week you are in town & start eliminating days when you CAN'T do something. For example, the Louvre is not open 7 days a week. Neither is Versailles. Both of those sites are probably too "big" to tackle on arrival day nor will you have time on departure day. By the time you put in all of those kinds of tidbits there are only a couple of options left for each of these sites.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,786 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

Are you familiar with the concept of geographic maps? Open maps.google.com, search for your attractions one by one, place pins, you will see which sites are near each other and which (like Versailles) are quite a hike away.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

This is one of the things maps are for. Get a good map of Paris, mark the sites, look at the scale of the map to figure out distances between them, then plan your route and timing. It's not going to do you one bit of good, once you are on the ground, just to be told what to group together. You're going to have to navigate.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,870 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

With the amount on time you have been planning on this trip, I would suggest you have a guide book, and a paper map on hand. You will need them when you are in Paris. Nothing like hard copy to hold in your hands, specially on a first trip. This is where I really miss the old Access Series of Travel Guides where they grouped everything by area and colour coded: restaurants, hotels, attractions for easy planning. That said: Eyewitness makes good guide books and I highly recommend the Streetwise foldout maps.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

rigbyjack, that is an EXCELLENT idea the, "Begin your planning by marking down the days of the week you are in town & start eliminating days when you CAN'T do something. For example, the Louvre is not open 7 days a week. Neither is Versailles. Both of those sites are probably too "big" to tackle on arrival day nor will you have time on departure day. By the time you put in all of those kinds of tidbits there are only a couple of options left for each of these sites." since many people look at sightseeing from an entirely different way of thinking.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
374 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

I make old fashioned index cards with each site, restaurant, etc. And I put the arondissement (district) they are in in the right corner (I also put address, metro stop and hours of operation). And I sort them by arondissement when I'm done -- So everything in the 7th is together, and I go from there. I've seen people do it in Excel that way too. It can be a little overwhelming.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

Michele, to be fair, I plan my itinerary on spreadsheets, so... I'm not the typical tourist, probably. ;)

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

Yes rigbyjack's advise is good, and besides days the sites are open, pay attention, as he said, to places you need to get to first thing, ie Catacombs, Norte Dame (if you wish to climb the towers) and Eiffel Tower (if you wish to ascend it.) So all of those should be put first thing in the morning on three separate days, then build your itinerary around those areas.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

Agree with above. Draw columns on a sheet of paper and label with days you will be there. Note not open at top of column (Versailles and Orsay are closed on Mondays, Pompidou and Louvre closed on Tuesdays, etc.). Know which venues are and are not included in the museum pass (if you plan to purchase one).

It is definitely better to start the day at a busiest place - Saint Chapelle, Notre Dame towers (if you plan to climb), Catacombs...where lines grow longer throughout the day and a museum pass doesn't let you skip the line.

While it is often recommended to cluster, just because Orsay and Louvre are across the river from one another does not mean you should visit them the same day. It's better to visit one large venue and one or more smaller venues any given day, or you'll wear yourselves out or all will be a blur.

Know that you may have to rearrange things once there due to weather - Louvre if it's raining, Luxembourg gardens if it's a beautiful day.

Beware of looking at a map and deciding to walk. Our first trip, we went to Sainte-Chapelle, then walked to Notre Dame, then to La Samaritaine, then the Louvre. We were quite tired by the time we got the the Louvre, which is gigantic with miles and miles of rooms on three floors.

If you mention the days of the week of your stay, you may get lucky if Rasteriasha comes along...she's a positive genius at itinerary planning.

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help in grouping Paris sites that can be seen on same day

HI....an additional suggestion....Go to the "classic version" of Google Maps and plug in starting points and add destinations; you can use miles or km depending on what you are more comfortable with...and use the "walking icon" not the transportation icon and you will get a great idea of distance/direction for your many sites that you are trying to group together.