We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

attractions for kids in summer

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
attractions for kids in summer

friends are bringing their children to paris this summer, aged 10-13. Is there anything they can be on the lookout for? Will the ferris wheel be in operation?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: attractions for kids in summer

a small carnival goes up in the Tuilleries late in the summer which includes a ferris wheel; the giant one on Concord is not up in summer. The Tuilleries also has trampolines and climbing toys. Luxembourg gardens is a hit with kids -- puppet shows and a great pay playground although the 13 year old might be less enthusiastic. It does have some unique gadgets so it might still interest him or her.

Late in summer there is a 'beach' on the Seine called the Paris Plage; I have never understood the charm since of course it doesn't go to the water, but there are bars, places to sunbathe, water sprinklers and such. Many parks have carrousels -- some are the large old fashioned horse ones and others are smaller with rocket ships and things designed for younger kids.

The Notre Dame tower is a hit with kids this age as they get to see the gargoyles they met in the Disney Hunchback of NOtre Dame up close. Long line but worth it IMHO. Kids this age might get a kick out of a fat tire bike tour around Paris at night. Big clunky bikes, lots of stopping and looking at stuff so not arduous.

There are several guides about things to do with kids in Paris and you should search this group as it is a frequent topic.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

San Diego...
Level Contributor
872 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: attractions for kids in summer

Yes the kids will like the carnival at Tuilleries garden. There is a big Ferris wheel there. Also the Parcel de Villette sets up a big movie screen. I believe it's in the 19th and they might enjoy watching a movie in the park. Also visit www.timeout.com/Paris/en/for-kids.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 00:29
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: attractions for kids in summer

My son is now 13. His favorite things are the Eiffel Tower, the Invalides museum and finding pastry shops or crepe carts. He loves to sit at cafes and watch the different kinds of cars go by (sometimes he even takes pictures for his instagram), or go look for car dealerships to visit. I was surprised by how much he enjoyed Galleries Lafayette on this past visit (they have a toy department with lots of legos, as well as a nice rooftop patio). He likes to find cool graffiti to photograph for his instagram as well. There's some really interesting graffiti in Paris, if you pay attention to your surroundings :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: attractions for kids in summer

oh yeah -- we had a tradition where the kids could choose a fancy pastry from a shop each afternoon that we would enjoy as a snack in the park or back at the apartment in the evening. In Italy it was gelato.

There is a pastry shop on Montorguile that has little pink piggy pastries.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: attractions for kids in summer

renting the sail boats to float at Luxembourg gardens was a huge hit with our 10 year old last summer (the 5 and 7yr old as well). The puppet show was fun for the two younger ones but I wouldn't do it if the youngest was 10. The gargoyles at Notre Dame was a huge hit. As was going to the top of the Eiffel Tower. They enjoyed the fair at Tuilerie gardens as well. My two oldest were very into certain artists at the time due to their classes at school so my 7 year old really wanted to visit L'Orangerie to see Monet's waterlillies and my 10 year old really wanted to see the Mona Lisa (as well as paintings by VanGogh and Chigalle which we saw elsewhere). We hired a private guide for the Louvre and the kids really enjoyed it. They were able to visit the mummies, see the old Louvre, Napolean's apartments as well as the 'must see' masterpieces. They really enjoyed the stories that our guide told us about the paintings they were seeing. She had a way to make it really interesting for the kids. I guess my take home message is, every kid is different and while many wouldn't be bothered with entering a museum with kids, some children may really enjoy it.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: attractions for kids in summer

Oh, you reminded me that my son's favorite museum is the little Dali museum. He especially loved the lobster phone.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: attractions for kids in summer

Paris plage is nice you can even play 'la pétanque' - and have a pic nique...

On top of what has been said :

Things kids might like too is 'Le grand Palais'or 'le petit palais' where they can recreate experiences (physics, electricity) such things...whole year long actually and indoors...

Some say 'la cité des sciences' is nice, porte villette, but I've never been inside.

Le bois de Vincenne is nice too, I recently took a velib and cycled through it - you can have a velib for a day with a credit card directly at any velib station - pay attention to give it back every 30 min or 45 if not you'll be charged.

canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: attractions for kids in summer

thanks so much for all the lovely suggestions!

9. Re: attractions for kids in summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16