We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
10 posts
Save Topic
RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

We are taking the RER from Charles de Gaulle to the Saint-Michel Notre Dame stop and despite our best intentions will undoubtedly have suit cases that are heavy.

I assume there is no elevator or escalator at Saint-Michel. Right?

Approximately how many steps will I need to lug my bags up?

Thanks.

Leave in seven days and can hardly wait.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

At the Notre Dame/St-Michel stop there is a set of contiguous escalators and an elevator at Sortie 5 and 6, respectively. The escalators will leave you in front of Notre Dame and the elevator opens on the Left Bank. No steps involved in either case.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

There is an elevator to ground level... for some reason I have it in my head that it is Sortie 6. I used it upon arrival but do know that when I left about 6am for the return trip back to the airport, that exit was locked at street level so I had to go down the stairs with my suitcase.

Cleveland, Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

Merci.

We are staying at Hotel Esmeralda on the left bank and you have given me the information I needed.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

I've stayed at Hotel Esmerelda - have you noticed the stairs, there?! There was nobody to help carry the bags up, either. We did have a great view of Notre Dame, though...

If at all possible, try to do some serious un-packing, before you get on the plane. Sometimes escalators and elevators are out-of-service, no matter where you go. Better to be prepared than to risk a lifelong souvenir in the form of a herniated disc : {

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,380 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

Esmerelda? That name rings a bell. :)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,854 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

Oh yes,.. at the hotel you will be hauling your bags.. ditch some stuff or risk dislocating your shoulder. !lol

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

There is indeed an RER elevator to ground level, right along the Seine.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

At that station, sortie-5 has escalators to street level and the place you emerge is near the front of the Hotel Dieu, almost directly in front of the Notre Dame Cathedral. Sortie-6 is an elevator from the middle of the RER-B platform that surfaces at street level on the riverbank just off rue Xavier Privas. The elevator at sortie-6 is new and very reliable. The escalators at sortie+5, not so much.

Fountain Valley...
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

Hi, we will be going to CDG after staying in the Latin Quarter, close to Saint-Michel. I'm assuming it's an easy trip to the airport from there. We were considering an airport shuttle but they are pricey and were told they aren't too reliable

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RER Saint-Michel--How Many Steps

You are right about not taking a shuttle. It's a very easy trip to CDG from St-Michel. If you have heavy luggage, take the elevator. The escalators do not go down, only up. If the elevator is not functioning, have a plan B. I always check it out the night before. Even if it's working then, I always have a plan B.