We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris in August

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paris in August

Hi There-

My Fiance and I will be in Paris for 4 days in August for part of our Honeymoon before we head to the French Riviera. I have read that on some blogs that restaurants and pastry shops dont really close that much in August, and others that they do.

Does anyone know if Pierre Herme will be open? What about Berthelion? We are going to be there August 8-12, 2014.

Thank you!

Marta

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris in August

Pierre Hermé will be open. If you mean Berthillon, it will be closed.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris in August

Berthillon itself will be closed, but its ice creams are available at the same price, all over Ile St Louis. Just look for the signs. Shop around check out the flavors, since they tend to be different, depending on where you go. Buy a cone or cup to go, since sitting down to eat will triple the price.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,521 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris in August

The pleasure of Berthillon is the 40 or so fabulous flavors to choose from -- just getting one of six at some cafe isn't the same.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris in August

The Berthillon website lists all of the places that sell its products. But yes, the choice at any of them will be limited.

I hardly ever eat ice cream or sorbet, but when I do I prefer Amorino.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 18:06
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris in August

Then there is always the debate about whether Berthillon ice cream is really worth it or if it is just a tourist obsession like Amorino, which is just another French ice cream brand invented to charge extra.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,134 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris in August

I though Amorino was italian?? Oh well I prefer it over Berthillions... but I actually like Haagen Daas Coffee ice cream the best of all... ( is that too touristy.. lol )

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris in August

Well, obviously the Amorino name was chosen to make people think it was Italian. But no.

http://www.amorino.com/us/

Of course, Häagen-Dazs is also a name that is intended to make you forget that it is Pillsbury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A4agen-Dazs

Edited: 25 April 2014, 20:12
California
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris in August

Whatever the brand or name on the sign, it's fun to have *so many* convenient places for an ice cream stop while in Paris. And while the main Berthillion shop will be closed, you will be spoiled for choice elsewhere. No worries. I'm not sure about Pierre Herme--they are probably open or it would have been an issue discussed here before!

Edited: 25 April 2014, 20:32
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris in August

Thank you everyone! I saw posts from 2 years ago on blogs and Pierre Herme traditionally closed its main shop. I do want to try the macaroons, but I also wanted to check out his other pastries.

I actually dont like Hagen Daz and did not like Amarino last time I was in Paris. My favorite is gelato from Giolliti in Rome and friends of mine said Berthillion is comparable. I generally don't eat ice cream here in the US as I prefer the way it tastes in Europe. The flavors are so much more intense and less sugary!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,134 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris in August

ha .. please try the Berthillions Cassis.. your teeth will ache for a week..