We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

Is there a difference between the two? I'm not going to choose the dining option so it will just be the boat ride. But I'm wanting to get advanced tickets beforehand.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

Both companies have their fans. I like the Bateaux Mouches because they are immense and you can walk all over the place to take photos. It is important not to be trapped in one place, because tour bus after tour bus just pour onto these boats -- one reason being because they have a huge parking lot for tour buses, something that is extremely rare in the center of Paris. The commentary (in at least 8 languages) is canned but only the most clueless visitors really require the commentary.

The Vedettes du Pont Neuf are preferred by lots of other people because the embarkation point is more convenient for a lot of people and the commentary is usually done live if you can decipher the accent. The boats are smaller and you can't always wander around easily.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

Others will disagree, but I think the most important thing to consider is where you access the boat.

Also, consider when you want to go. An evening cruise after sunset is absolutely stunning - all the bridges and monuments are lit up, just like in the movies. During the day, you will see a lot of leafy trees that block a good bit of the view, and in Summer, it can be very hot.

One company docks near Notre Dame,and involves a fair amount of stairs.The other company docks near Eiffel Tower, and there are no stairs.

In my opinion, it's not worth going across town for either one of them, since it's the same 1-hour tour. Some people think it's nicer to go on a small boat, but it's not absolutely necessary - in fact, a larger boat will be better for photos, if you sit up top.

Even though you will save a couple of euros by buying online, I don't advise it. If the weather's bad, it's not as much fun, and you can't sit up top or take any decent photos in the rain. The lines are never very long, and boats leave every 20 minutes, I believe. Check the cruise schedules online, and go about 20 mins or so early. The boat leaving from Notre Dame does not accept credit cards, but I can't remember if the other one does.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

If you do decide on the Vedettes du Pont Neuf, there are two on line options. You can purchase your ticket, but as Patty says, it's not advisable due to weather vagaries.

But you can also print a coupon for a discount of a few euros when you go to actually buy your tickets for the cruise. It's not a lot, but if you're on a budget, every euro helps.

Edit: Kerouac is right. The commentary on both boats is awful, so don't think you're going to get much from either one. Either the speakers have thick accents, the PA is scratchy or the wind takes it away.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 20:59
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

There are also boats in front of the Eiffel Tower if you happen to be there.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

We have done the Vedettes du Pont Neuf one a handful of times. As mentioned, you can buy your tickets online and then there is a separate window at the dock to show your printout, so you don't have to wait in the regular ticket line. To buy the tickets online, you do need to choose if you want to do morning or afternoon (which includes evening), but otherwise there is no set date for the tickets so you can go whenever you want. So if weather is bad, just wait another day. We have done it this way every time and it has always worked well for us, FWIW.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

les vedettes du Pont Neuf sell tics online for 10 euros (regular price is 14) and tics are valid for a year from date of purchase, so you choose when you want to go

it is best to arrive 20-30 minutes ahead, on a nice night, to get seats on open top of les vedettes du Pont Neuf boat

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/tickets/

Edited: 26 April 2014, 21:21
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

wow, thanks for the helpful tips! I'll be staying in the Marais, so the Pont Neuf one is definitely closer. The evening cruise is what I'd to do.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

I really like the evening cruises:) The lights on the Eiffel Tower sparkle at the top of the hour in the evening, so try to take a cruise that starts on the half-hour. That way the boat will be down by the ET when the lights sparkle. I personally like to go around sunset.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

I prefer the Bateaux-Mouches if the weather is good, or the Bateaux Parisiens if it's raining. I don't generally use the Vedettes du Pont Neuf, mostly because of the awkward location and the small boats.

Advance tickets are not necessary most of the time, at least for the first two companies. They have large boats and plenty of capacity and typically you can just walk up and buy a ticket for the next boat. During busy times they have departures every half hour or so.

10. Re: Bateaux mouches vs vedette a du point Neuf seine cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 06:16