We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

Bonjour!

It's 3 weeks until our trip to Paris!! I'm going with my Mom and boyfriend and none of us have been before, so I'd really appreciate any advice regarding our itinerary if possible. We're looking to keep it fairly easy going as my Mom has MS and will need some breaks along the way. We're stopping quite a bit out at the Ibis La Defense, but for the cheap price and being so near the Metro station. we're OK with it.

FRIDAY

- We arrive at CDG around 4.30pm and taking the RER to Chatelet les Halles.

- The Basilica of Notre Dame des Victories before its closing at 7.30pm.

- Find somewhere for dinner then O'Chateau on Jean-Jacques Rousseau to sample some wine!

- See the Louvre Pyramid lit up at night and get the Metro (line 1) to our hotel.

SATURDAY

– Stamp/postcard market at Avenue de Marigny.

- Make our way towards Trocadero Gardens, cafe breaks, shops etc.

- Eiffel Tower at 1.30pm. This is the only thing we have booked, and all other times were taken!

- Museum D'Orsay - even if time only allows for the Van Gogh exhibit.

- The evening free to wander around, cafes, the Tuileries gardens, dinner and drinks - generally just enjoy being in Paris.

QUESTIONS: Roughly how long does going up the Eiffel Tower take?

I'm unsure about the queues at Museum D'Orsay, will they be terrible around 3pm ish? We can't book tickets online since mine would be free (under 26 EU national) and we have a 2 for 1 Eurostar deal on the other 2! Unless there's somewhere else we can buy them from beforehand?

SUNDAY

– Bird and flower market at Place Louis Lepine.

- Notre Dame Cathedral (not going up the tower).

- Book market at Quai de Montebello. I can't find much about this but if it's not there we'll just pop into Shakespear and company just down the road!

- Sainte Etienne Church.

- Pantheon.

- Luxembourg Gardens.

- Wander up towards Vedettes du Pont-Neuf for an evening River Cruise.

- Somewhere for cocktails and dinner.

MONDAY

– Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Elysees. Probably for our last Macaron fix along the way too :)

- L'Affineur'Affine for wine and cheese!

- Sacre-Coeur.

- Making our way to Gare du Nord for about 3pm ish.

QUESTION: We're planning to take the little bus thing up to Sacre-Coeur instead of the steps, does anybody know if it brings you down as well?

All but the Eiffel Tower is changeable and food wasn't really scheduled in because we'll just stop whenever we fancy it!

Thank you in advance :)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

Anybody? :(

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

Lanno, relax:) you'll get lots of help.

First things first. My dad had MS and I can tell you that, with the many steps in the metro stations, he never would have been able to manage. Your mom may be much more capable, but if not, consider using the bus system instead. A bit slower than the metro, but few steps. It goes out to La Defense, so no worries. And think of all the scenery you'll see rather than being underground.

I might also leave your itinerary very loose, so your mother doesn't feel as though she's slowing the visit down. Do what she can comfortably, and leave a more intense visit for another time.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

Haha, thanks HappyGoin! I found it strange to go 4 hours with no replies on this forum; though I'd bump it up so to not get lost in the shuffle! ;)

I was worried about the Metros, but read Esplanade de La Defense had escalators? We've planned to use buses while in the centre but use the metro just to get to and from the hotel. It's all going to be to my Mom's pace obviously so if she feels it's too much, we'll change. That's why we haven't really booked anything other than the Eiffel Tower (and the river cruise but there's no time or date on it), trying to keep it all flexible. Would you say our plan so far it too busy?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

I really do, lanno. Not so much if everybody was able-bodied, but I think your mom might have trouble keeping to the itinerary you propose. That's why I said to keep the itinerary loose.

I have a friend too, who is battling MS. She does really well, but moves slowly and tires easily. Of course, I don't know where your mother is with her illness, but if she's anything like my gf, I doubt she could keep to your proposed itinerary either.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 23:03
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

Ok, thanks :) We'll have a rethink and pick some 'must sees' and if there's space for others, then brilliant. I definitely wouldn't want to knacker my Mom out to fit an extra church in or something! Although we went to Prague last year and my Mom did great, she has her good and bad days so fingers crossed for some good ones while we're there!

Thanks again :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

That's the beauty of keeping the itinerary casual. Do the must-sees first thing in the morning, when your mom might have more energy. Then add whatever she feels she can manage. You'll have a wonderful time, I'm sure. You're making a nice memory with your mom:)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

I think that it's too bad that you're staying so far away. With a hotel nearer the center it would be easy for Mom to go for a rest while everyone else continued their sightseeing.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

I agree. It's not that huge a deal, but accommodation in the city center could be secured at the same price point and make things easier for your mom.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

Make some research about Museum visits for people with disability - they might be free and no line waiting' although medical certificate may be required.

Arc de Triomph has lift for disabled.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 03:28
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip to Paris - Itinerary help please!

Yeah, the location isn't fully ideal, but the money we saved on the hotel can now go on multiple cafe breaks instead! It was only €55 per night and with an Ibis you know what you're getting! I wouldn't really like to leave my Mom in the hotel and go off anyway. We've been on holiday before and usually a little coffee break or a sit in a park is enough rest for her to be able to carry on.

Thanks Tesa! I've been looking at Arc de Triomphe and got conflicting info on whether there was a lift or only stairs, so we'll be able to go up now :)

Another question! Do supermarkets/convenience stores generally stay open quite late? We'll need to get a few things when we first arrive. I gathered they would (it's Paris afterall!) but though I'd check.