We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

Have just read an interesting article in the National Geographic about the River Seine in Paris.

I know that there have been several posts about the love locks and so this might be of interest. I apologise if it has already been covered in the original thread, but I couldn't face searching through more than 280 posts (the last time I noticed another comment) to see whether anyone had mentioned this. I quote:

"Most every morning at nine, the emergency responders assigned to the Seine pull on their wet suits and swim around the Ile de la Cite. In the course of their circuit.....the firemen-divers scour the bottom, retrieving bikes, cutlery (which they clean and use in the nearby houseboat where they live), cell phones, old coins......

By the Pont des Arts......they retrieve keys tossed in the water by couples hoping to affirm the eternal nature of their padlocked love.

One bridge upriver, at the Pont Neuf, near the Palace of Justice law courts where divorces are decreed, they find wedding bands discarded when eternal love turns out to be ephemeral."

This is just a sample of a very interesting article about life on and around this famous river.

Article by Cathy Newman with photographs by William Albert Allard (who has contributed to the National Geographic for 50 years).

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

Oh wow - thanks for sharing! Good to know the keys are rotting and polluting the river as they disintegrate. Is that the current issue of National Geographic? What's the date on the cover? :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

Thanks. This sounds interesting.

Here's a link: …nationalgeographic.com/2014/…newman-text

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

Thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

Oh, I was hoping for a good article, and this was even worse than the typical NYT article. Just looking at the map and seeing the weird emphasis on the very minor Batignolles neighbourhood and the insipid suburb of Levallois-Perret would seem to indicate that they just tossed in items at random, figuring that most readers know nothing about Paris and would not question what they wrote.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
2,206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

National Geographic has been traditionally about photos with little emphasis on prose.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

The article was not exactly "about" the key retrieval. That would have been more interesting.

California
Level Contributor
6,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

I don't think they swim the river every day, either. I've seen them out there at least 4 Mondays, but haven't noticed them out on other days of the week (not that I check every morning to find out!). Saw them drag up a computer one morning. It surprises me that they would bother with keys, but hats off to them if they do.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,411 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

I liked the article, it gave a peak at the Paris most visitors walk by without ever seeing.

NJ
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

Thanks for posting the link to the article. I found it very interesting and look forward to looking for some of these things when we visit in July.

Gard, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,828 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Article on Love Lock Keys Retrieval

Thanks for posting that. Here in UK we went to a French Circle quiz on Friday night, and one question was which Paris bridge is well-known for love locks - that's one I knew I'd got right!