We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michelin Star Restaurants

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Michelin Star Restaurants

Good day everyone,

Please recommend Michelin Star Restaurants (preferably 2-3 stars, French cuisine) in Paris where you can go with a 1-year old baby.

Thanks

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

There are no three star Michelin restaurants in Paris where it is appropriate to bring a 1 year old. In this culture it is considered inappropriate and inconsiderate to the other guests who will be paying 300€ or more per person for an evening out. Meals last three hours and since no healthy one year old should have to sit quietly for three hours, its really not a great idea. Even my millionaire friends who get private rooms do not bring their kids.

For a two star, Joel Robouchon at the Etoile may be ok, as their meals can go quickly, and the dining room is dark and slightly louder, so your kid may not bother anyone. Their address in the 7th would be horrible for you because its has bar stool dining that would be bad for a 1 year old.

For 1 stars, La Cuisine du Royal Monceau is used to dealing with families and their kids and Le Jules Verne is used to it.

Warn the restaurant in advance so they can let you know if they have what you'll need (a high chair or space for a stroller).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

+1 for Phread. Am a totally immersed grandmother who takes grandchildren out to as many "fancy" meals as appropriate for their ages. But if I were going to even a one star Michelin I would like to enjoy it in serenity and even a 90 minute meal would be too much for a child without any "outside intervention". I know that it is sometimes done in NYC but believe me the other dinners are not happy about it. As an alternative there are many top rated restaurants in Paris that would be more appropriate for a year old "baby".

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

+2

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
656 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

+3

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

+4

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

OP, don't get disheartened by the consensus that taking a baby to a starred restaurant is not recommended. There are many places in Paris with excellent food where you child will feel at home and so will you. I love having a copy of Zagat Guide for Paris on hand before travel. Gives you lots of information, most important of which are the "opening hours" for these establishments.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

Wish I had millionaire friends....

Wish I had friends...

:-(

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

Thanks everyone for your replies. We certainly don't want to ruin anyone's dinning experience. We'll try to find a babysitter for 1 evening, and if we won't find anyone we will stick with a less formal establishment.

If you know any nice restaurants that are baby friendly please share their names.

thanks

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

It all depends on the Baby or the child for that matter. My children have eaten at nice restaurants since they were very, very young. I waited until they were 11 and 15 until they ate at their first 2 star. at 12 and 16 they will eat at their first 3 star this summer in Paris.... for lunch. I find even though they love food they are much happier in the more casual restaurants/bistros etc. They are happy to go to 1 or 2 a trip but beyond that is a bit much IMO. Luckily they are old enough now where I don't need a babysitter so the same can't be said for mom and dad. :)

B.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
247 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

I noticed that you also posted about restaurants in London- perhaps the idea of fine dining is more appealing than the actual experience. Even a "good" baby will react negatively at times which will ruin your entire evening ( as well as that of your fellow diners). I cannot imagine a crying child in the midst of a tasting menu- would not be much fun!

I am not willing to pay $$$ to play a game of roulette with a young child's behavior in a fine dining establishment and am certain that the management staff will be on pins and needles about a potential meltdown. It may be best to shelve your desire to dine in acclaimed establishments until your child is older or you are dining alone- there are numerous venues that serve excellent food that you can enjoy with your child. I have always hired sitters so that we could fully enjoy our evening and believe that your fellow diners at any starred restaurant would appreciate the same courtesy.