We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

I read a lot here in Tripadvisor befor trying to get the best from my 7 hours at CDG. We arrived at 6:35 to CDG (we were supposed to arrive at 6:10) so we have 30 minutes less of our 7 hours. We passed through inmigration in 15 minutes, and then headed to the RER B train station. We payed the 9.75 euros for the ticket to Paris. We had to wait for the traint to starts its journey around 5 or 6 minutes. And then, almost 45 minutes to get to the Notre Dame station. There we changed to RER C train and traveled for another 10 minutes before getting to the /Champs de mars/Eiffel Tower station. From there, the tower is 200 meters away. We walked at the side of the Senna river enjoying the view and taking a lot of pictures, but not staying for more than two minutes on the sam place. We even had the time to enter to an automarit toilet. Then we got the Eiffel Tower in front of us, and Trocadero behind. We took a lot of pictures, possing, smiles, etc. We even had time for buying iron replicas under the tower for a couple of Euros. The time was 9:00 a.m.

After that we walked to Champs de Mars, getting away from the tower, and headed to the Militar School. Just enough to be able to take the picture of the whole tower. Then, we returned to the train station, but this time we walked across the streets and not at the side of the river.

We took the same RER C train and headed to Notre Dame. We arrived there at 9:32am. The cathedral one block from the station so we walked and took pictures of the Senna again. At the church we took pictures outside and enjoyed the majestuosity of the monument. Then we entered (free of charge) the church and we took many pictures even in front of the altar. After that we went out of the church, we went downstairs to the river, sat there, and took many pictures again. The time was: 10:00am.

After that we decided to return to the airport. We took the RER B traing again, but we got the wrong train and had to get out of it at the Sevran Livry station. Time was 11:00 a.m. There we entered in panic, but after buying our ticket we had to return to the Aulnay station and then we headed to CDG on RER B3. Time was 11:40 a.m.

We got into inmigration and then we had plenty of time for shopping at the free duty shops. Time was 12:15

Our plane left at 2:00 p.m. Last boarding time was 1:00 p.m.

We did it! We visited Paris and with just 20 euros! I guess that if we had one hour more, we had been able to visit the front of the louvre museum or even the Arch!

We hope this info helps and encourages others to use wisely the 7 hours at CDG.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,980 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

Wonderful! Thank you for posting back and giving future adventurers a glimpse of how much they can accomplish with proper planning and more importantly Time Management.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

Useful info. Thanks for taking the time to report back. Might be a bit tight for some people but good information.one for being able to make a trip to Paris.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 21:36
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

It's not common to get thru immigration in15 minutes; you were lucky. I'm glad you made it. Thanks for coming back to post.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

HappyGoin, I am actually always surprised to read people's experiences of long lines at immigration because our experience of flying from Boston when we lived there and landing at CDG between 6:30 am and 8:30 am was always breezing through immigration in just a minute or two (15 minutes would seem super long to me). I do have a French passport but always went though the non- EU passport lane with my husband. The only time we had to wait was when our plane landed super early and the airport was still dark and the staff were not awake yet and obviously got called to come in early. When they arrived they had that "just out of bed" look :-D Our big trauma however was always luggage which would take forever when it didn't get lost so that we decided to fly with only carry-ons whenever possible. It's funny how everyone has a different experience.

Anyway, to the OP, glad you made it and got to enjoy a few hours in Paris :)That was a very detailed and useful description of the timing.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

There was indeed some luck, plus it seems (as you did not mention them) that your luggage were checked through and that you already had your boarding cards for the second leg in hand.

Aside from the RER snafu, you seem to have planned your flash journey well, while being ready to abandon the idea if things turned astray. Well done, good attitude!

Mrs FM, it depends a lot on which terminal your arrive. Not sure OP would arrive at the same one as a plane from Boston (I always land at CDG coming from Africa or Asia, and am rarely out in less than 45 minutes in the first case, 30 in the second).

Edited: 28 April 2014, 22:04
San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

You're right. Our luggage was checked by Air France. I was in transit coming fron India and then to Panama. We arrived to Terminal 2E. Our flight to Panama left from the same terminal. And yes, we've planned this trip very carefully, and even with all the info and train routes printed, we got lost. But I guess If I had looked for the "E" letter wich is front of the RER B train that goes to CDG, we wouldn't have lost. We had passed the inmigration point in less than 10 minutes, but the official took our passports to his chief just to check if we needed visa or no to enter France. We didn't.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,980 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

The PLUS for the OP was that they were focused and without having ambitions of a meal. A "pit stop" was their only "distraction."

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

That's right, Parisix, we would normally arrive at terminal 2E or 2F.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

Thanks so much for coming back and reporting!! Glad to hear it went well and you didn't miss your flight :-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We did it: Paris in 6 hours!

Mrs FM, one of the reasons I started flying premium economy is to bypass the long lines at immigration at CDG. The last time I stood in that long line, it was almost an hour. And not to be vulgar, but people's hygiene left a lot to be desired...that line was the straw that broke the camels back for moi :)