We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

Hello,

I am visiting Paris for the 1st ever time next week with a friend. Someone suggested that we take the Sienne River cruise at night. They stated it was pretty relaxing and we can see all the main sights lit up at night.

I was wondering if people thought that this was a good idea, as it sounds like a tourist trap. I plan to visit all the top tourist sights anyways and wondering if this would actually be time and money well spent.

I am wondering how much time they are usually. Our friends suggested that we take it near the Eiffel tower and end it a little after the islands.

Thanks in advance.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

Hi, I think the Seine cruises are a wonderful idea and although they may be very touristy (not a trap though!) still worth it. For one thing, you get the see the sights from another perspective, and secondly, your feet get a bit of a break!

I have take two cruises, Vedettes de Pont Neuf and Bateaux Mouches. I preferred Vedettes. It leaves from the western tip of Ile de Cite and if you time it right (ie leave on the half hour) after sunset you should see get to the Eiffel Tower on the hour to see it sparkle.

The Bateaux Mouches boat was much bigger and the night we went in April was quite cold when up top. I thought the Vedettes boat was a better ride overall. If you go to their website you can download a voucher (not sure if you prepay) to use at any time/day you want.

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/home/

Edit: from my understanding, whichever company you go with, you will arrive at the same place that you depart. If you want to get on at the Eiffel Tower and hop off somewhere else, then I think you are referring to the Batobus. I have never used this, but I wouldn't class it as a 'cruise' as such - much more like transport to point B from point A like the metro. I think it's expensive as well.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 03:24
los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

Yes, it is touristy, but it was beautiful seeing the monuments lit up at night, so I would suggest doing it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,336 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

Absolutely !

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
333 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

It's a must. I personally like Bateaux Parisian. If you time your trip right, going at sunset is fantastic. The last time I went we arrived back at the base of the Eiffel Tower just in time to see her hourly show of lights twinkling. It was magical.

http://www.bateauxparisiens.com

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,845 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

Look its 11-13 euros or so... its relaxing.. you can sip some wine and enjoy the lit monuments and bridges ( they are beautiful) .. so no,. I don't consider it a "tourist trap" but yes.. it is somewhat "touristy" . I think it has value as a sigtseeing activiity though. If you don't have time to fit in fine.. but if you do.. its lovely ,

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

Thanks for that informative post, I'm definitely going to check out Vedettes de Pont Neuf now..

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

Both day and night cruises are pleasant and inexpensive. I prefer the Bateaux-Mouches in good weather because of their large boats with big, open upper decks. In rainy weather I prefer the glassed-in Bateaux Parisiens. Standard day and night cruises are good value, but dinner cruises are not, as they are much more expensive, the food is so-so, and the view is the same.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

It's Seine, not Sienne, and as someone who has lived in a house in France for 21 years and has spent hundreds of trips through Paris, I never tire of a boat trip on the river.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
417 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

We went on the Vedettes de Pont Neuf in March. There is a glassed in lower level and an open air upper level. I wish we had arrived slightly earlier to sit up top (probably need to be there 20 min to half hour before departure - or maybe we were just unlucky. They had a guide pointing out the sites in French & English. We went our 2nd night to make ourselves stay awake, as we were still adjusting to the time change. Would go again.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Sienne River Night Cruise worth it?

I think evening cruises are lovely. For my upcoming trip I've planned a Le Calife dinner cruise, which I've very excited about.