We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone Cards vs Cell Phones in France

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
324 reviews
Save Topic
Phone Cards vs Cell Phones in France

It looks as if I will have to spend several months in France for business. My international roaming rates on my cell or outrageous and I am thinking of either buying an international phone card or a pay as you go cell phone. I would make most of my calls from the hotel room so I would need a card with a dial in access. Also, I don't know what the rates would be for international calls from the cell phone. Does anyone have any recommendations for the least expensive, most useful option?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone Cards vs Cell Phones in France

Do you know if your phone is unlocked? You can ask your carrier if it is.

If your phone is unlocked and will take a SIM card (for example iPhone 4s and later), then all you have to do is go to a store like Phone House and buy a sim card with prepaid time. Stick it in your phone and you'll have cheap calls. Lebara also offers cheap data (lebara.fr).

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone Cards vs Cell Phones in France

From your hotel room could not use skype to make calls?

Will you be stuck in a hotel room for several months?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,826 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone Cards vs Cell Phones in France

Phonehouse has closed all of their stores in France but there are still plenty of options. Lycamobile has the cheapest call rates to the USA - about 0.02€ per minute but Lebara´s rates are similar. SIMs for these companies are sold at tabacs or magazine stores. Relay at CDG sell them but stock levels are always problematic. The SIMs typically sell for 5€ but you can have one sent to your hotel at no cost:

www.lebara.fr

www.lycamobile.com

4. Re: Phone Cards vs Cell Phones in France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 06:16