We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris or Rome

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Paris or Rome

Hi,

I am going to UK in December for almost three weeks (first timer). But i am thinking to take four days to either Rome or Paris. Where do you think i should go and why?

Thanks thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Paris or Rome

Both cities are fantastic. If you want to optimise your time, Paris would be a place as you can just hop on Eurostar and have easy transport arrangement.

ireland
Level Contributor
975 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Paris or Rome

If you decide on Paris, Eurostar is the best way to go. Seats go on sale 3 or 4 months ahead. The cheapest fares first, getting more expensive the closer to your travel dates.

Book on the official Eurostar site.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 17:21
Malta
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Paris or Rome

Paris hands down. I've been to both and Rome was nice. But I found Rome to be quite unsafe, especially near termini area. I've seen everything in Rome in 2 days, I've been in Paris for a week and I didn't even seen half the things I wanted to see. Paris is in my opinion cheaper (you'll find 15-20 euros 3 course meal with meat)... in Rome I had the worst dinners of all. If you want to eat good italian dishes, you have to eat expensively. As for fashion, I by far preferred Paris. Also in Rome beware of traffic, the italians drive like crazy!

For me Paris is safer, cleaner, nicer, cheaper and there's much more to see and for everyone. If you like class, theres Versailles, if you like fashion it's everywhere, if you like history there's tons, and if you're a fun person there's disneyland. Rome is worth a visit though as well, even thoughh I prefer Northern Italy, like Como, Venice and Florence

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Paris or Rome

that is not enough time for either but if I had a choice, it would be Paris. Rome has never done it for me. I have visited there 4 times for as much as a week; my last trip was 3 nights to see a couple of things we had missed on earlier trips -- Borghese Gallery and Ostia Antica. I find it a big uncomfortable dirty city and we never seem to get great food there. Good food, but not great food. The week I spent there with my elderly mother, we literally had our bills padded almost every evening when we dined out. It got to be a running joke to see how many dishes would be added to the bill (the winner -- I had a pizza, she had a pasta, we shared a salad and had a half bottle of wine. The bill was for two pizzas, two pastas, two salads and a full bottle of wine.)

There are many wonderful things to see in Rome but we don't enjoy the 'being there' part of the visit. We have enjoyed several weeks on different visits to Tuscany and driving around to sites in that region and once spent two wonderful months in Florence -- but Rome just leaves me cold.

I have spent months in Paris and would live there if it didn't mean being so far from my family and particularly my grandchild.

But to each his own -- many people adore Rome.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,679 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Paris or Rome

perhaps you could hop over to Paris for a day or two on Eurostar and travel to Rome for a few days ..they are very different, lovely cities: elegant Paris, grand Ancient Rome -- I simply could not choose so that is what I'd do

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,679 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Paris or Rome

just noticed it's an old post

maybe OP will come back to share their impressions

27. Re: Paris or Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2016, 06:17