We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G Detou

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
228 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
G Detou

So what are some favorite items to pick up at G Detou, heading there soon

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: G Detou

There are waaay too many to mention here. You should be aware that there are actually two stores, next door to each other. One is a baker's heaven...dragees, high quality dried fruits, flours, syrups, chocolate...I could go on and on.

The other is more savory, tinned foods, spices and spice mixes, jars of good things...again too much to mention. A definite must-go for any cook. Just know that, on my first trip, I go had to go out and buy another suitcase for all the stuff I had to schlep home.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: G Detou

I'm going to have to try again next time. It was just as crowded as Citi Pharma (which means waaaay over the Fire Marshall's legal occupancy limit) & the line to check out stretched back to the exit door, so I gave up :(

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: G Detou

Yeah, rugby, I think the secret is out on G Detou. Both places are small to begin with, so they get really crowded. Gonna have to scope out some new sources:)

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: G Detou

Sorry rigby...auto correct did its thing with your name.

Seoul
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: G Detou

go early in the morning and there's nobody else there. i purchased foie gras (both in the tin -- recommended by the clerk -- and glass jar, prettier as a gift) and pates -- they're better priced than galeries lafayette or le bon marche (each around 20 euro), and cos they have virtually one of each item, you can trust it's a preferred brand. i got 3 boxes of La Ponote lentille verte du puy (green lentils, regional specialty) for 2.5 euro each. also big vacuum pack of black olives for salad nicoise or light noshing. next time i'd get sardines, smoked oysters and other tinned treats. and nuts. and honey.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: G Detou

Big, cheap bags of fleur de sel...

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: G Detou

When you walk in, you'll understand -- buy what strikes your fancy and your tastes. It's all there -- they have it all. (with a wink for the French speakers)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: G Detou

I notice also that many comments about the shop's being crowded were from the period around Easter when it is indeed a zoo. After the chocolate Easter bunny crowd clears out, it is a rather serene shopping experience with lots of help from the informed staff.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: G Detou

MPilgrim, I'm sure Easter is crazy crowded, but my experience was a random early weeknight in mid-November.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: G Detou

I hear you, Rigby. Somehow, we have never experienced other than low traffic and good service. Maybe a half dozen shoppers in the shop at once. Last time, the woman who normally mans the caise was on the floor helping customers find things, actually not having many to help. We were, as usual, in and out in 5 minutes.