We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris or London first in December?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
618 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Paris or London first in December?

Hi, I'm planning a two week trip in early Dec with my family (2adults and 3 children aged 13, 11 and 6) and plan to do a week each in London and Paris (using the Eurostar).

Just wondering if there is a preference for doing one of these cities first?( eng avoiding national holidays, weather, peak hotel seasons , airport issues etc) or is it all the same?

It will be the first trip for all of us, planning to do a few days in a Paris, then Disney. Any recommendations which area is good to stay which will be central to shopping, sightseeing and food? Thinking if the St Germain area.

Thanks!

St Andrews, United...
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris or London first in December?

Regarding weather, there's likely to be very little difference between the two. London is cold, paris is also cold.

Winter break starts (usually) the Friday before Christmas in the UK and I believe this year both cities will be the same, holidays commencing the 20th/21st.

So obviously this won't impact your trip whatever way round you do it.

I'd go for ease, are you flying to one and departing from the other or will your eurostar be a return trip.

If you know dates call eurostar as telephone booking is much further ahead than the site and they'll inform you if dates released and the price.

Check out local Christmas market dates and such and see if that helps your decision.

Enjoy the trip!

Level Contributor
7,835 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris or London first in December?

well you can check the national holidays to see if one or the other has many during that time...I don't think that is a factor. For me since you will be flying into one city and back from another I would play with the airfares and see if one or he other is lower...you just never know...if so I would just do the lower airfare.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris or London first in December?

If you won't be there at Christmas, it doesn't matter. London shuts down at Christmas and is to be avoided at that time IMHO; Paris never pauses and is a better Christmas destination.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris or London first in December?

I suggest that the best recommendations so far are about the Christmas markets and airfares. And when setting expectations, remember that daylight hours are very, very short then. Which underscores the importance of the Christmas markets, and indoor activities.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
618 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris or London first in December?

Thanks, we plan to fly open jaw to save one journey.

any inputs regarding area to stay?

thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris or London first in December?

We went in 2008, although I am fluent in French, my husband is Mexican and taking a day trip to London was a nice relief. He loved Paris, but seeing all the French signs and hearing French all over in a whirlwind trip was overwhelming so he really enjoyed the London break.

It might be the same for your family. Might want to take the first week in Paris and then head to London.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris or London first in December?

I would price out flying into one city and home from the other and book the cheaper fare. Also, what the hotels prices are. Since you said early Dec it sounds like Christmas doesn't factor into your stay. I wouldn't want to be in London for Cmas. Not only are all the stores closed (mostly) so is public transportation.

Whenever I have had a combination trip to both Paris & London I usally like to go to Paris first and end in London. I like being in London at the end of my trip speaking English. I find I'm more relaxed. Of course, you may speak French (I don't.) I just saw the post from Suzanne. But, I would just book the best deal for you.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris or London first in December?

For the same reasons as # 6 and 7 ; I would like to be in London first, get over jet lagg, adjust to being in foreign country slower, then go to Paris.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris or London first in December?

London first because it's an English speaking country so it's a better place to adjust to the time difference. I also find the Eurostar from London to Paris more enjoyable than the other way around. You'd feel like an English aristocrat on a European tour.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris or London first in December?

A few years ago I was in London by the end of the first week of December and it was crowded with tourists from all over...

When I came back home the immigration staff couldn't understand why I went to Europe in December...instead of the summer...he thought it was strange..but in fact I took holidays in the spring, summer, fall..and finally December, to use the days leftover.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 09:28