We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
531 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

I am planning a day trip to the most authentic / we'll preserved Medieval town near Paris. Which one do the experts recommend?

I was thinking of Chartres for its Cathedral and half timber houses. Any better choices ?

Thanks a lot for any advice

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

Provins, Chartres, Moret-sur-Loing, Troyes, Senlis would be the best. Look at this thread for tips on what to see and do and how to get to these places, among others in the day trip list in this thread:

tripadvisor.com/…55885554

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
531 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

Thanks FM.

Between Chartres and Provins, which is a more "authentic" medieval experience ?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

They're both authentic so that's not an issue. If great gothic cathedrals are your thing then Chartres. But if Notre Dame in Paris satisfies your gothic cathedral urge then go to Provins. I should also add the medieval hilltop town of Laon as another option but that might just confuse you. It sounds like Provins might be best for you. When you arrive in Provins there are buses to the tourist office in the upper town or you can do the 1.5km walk to the upper town. I recommend stopping at the tourist office to get a map and other info first. On the Provins website go to the tab that says "How To Come" and scroll to the bottom for info about the bus schedules (pdf doc of the schedule).

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
2,084 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

I've been to Chatres and Provins and like them both. But as you indicated part of the appeal of Chartres for you is its cathedral, I would go there. The cathedral is indeed worth seeing and I highly recommend taking a tour of the cathedral with Malcolm. He is the most incredible "guide" that I've had worldwide.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,669 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

you can take a peek at Moret sur Loing and Senlis in my photo journal under day trips from Paris to get an idea of those destinations. I think Senlis is a great choice and it doesn' t have the touristy carnival atmosphere of Provins. The Chartres Cathedral is so magnificent that I might choose that if I had never been, but Senlis also has interesting old churches including one with some interesting medieval graffiti carved in its outer walls. when you choose a day trip to a place like this, don't choose a Monday -- those towns have largely a tourist economy and they close up tight as a drum on Mondays to compensate for weekend openings.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

I have been to Chartres twice, and intend to spend a day there in July. Malcolm Miller does two guided tours - one at noon and one later. I have chosen a Friday, when I believe they move the chairs and I can walk the labyrinth.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
531 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

Other than the Cathedral, how is Chartres as a Medieval town - is it well preserved with Medieval architecture ?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

I think it might be beneficial if you do a google street view walk through town. Not all streets will show on street view but enough of them will to show you what Chartres looks like. The medieval area is around the cathedral and then to the east towards the river.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,428 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

Please may I suggest Rouen?

SWT

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to a Medieval town - which one ?

I recently went to Crecy la Chapelle instead of Senlis or Provins. Very lovely, not heavily touristed. More low key. Old homes, canals, old churches, artists town. About 40 min. from Paris to the East by car. Also by train from Gare d'Est with a train change at Esbly.

…wordpress.com/2011/…

https://plus.google.com/photos/+RobertMackEsq/albums/5621873473212136833?banner=pwa