We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diversity in Paris

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Diversity in Paris

On a recent trip to Paris, I was amazed by the ethnic diversity. It was clear at the airport, in the metros, etc. Most views of Paris are of traditional Paris of 19th-20th century.

In what ways would you recommend seeing the diverse contemporary Paris? Any special restaurants, sites, shops, museums, etc?

Essex
Level Contributor
28,558 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diversity in Paris

Why the surprise?

Most big cities are pretty cosmopolitan these days, same in NYC last time I was there....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diversity in Paris

Well Essex that really doesn't answer my question.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,558 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diversity in Paris

That is true, but I was just curious as to why this should be of such surprise to you, there is as much wrong wit me asking you that, as there is wrong with you posting your questions, ie nothing wrong.....

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
698 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diversity in Paris

I didn't think your question was very clear. What are you looking for? You say you saw a lot of diversity in the airport, metros, etc. Did you not see diversity elsewhere? I wasn't specifically looking for "diversity" on my visit, but everywhere we went, there seemed to be a wide mix of people.

I don't think there are any specific restaurants, sites or museums where "all the diverse people" go. Are you looking for different ethnic communities within Paris? There are areas, similar to most big cities, where specific ethnic groups tend to congregate, if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Diversity in Paris

Guess it's a question of how Paris is described in the foreign media (especially movies). Must be a shock for some visitors to see that not all French guys (actually, hardly any) wear a beret, with a baguette under the arm and a Gitane Maïs between the lips, to reach his Citroen DS where Edith Piaf is playing on the radio...

NYNM, head to the Gare du nord area for African and South Asian diversity, and to the 13th arrondissement for the East Asian one..

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diversity in Paris

I'm not understanding "most views of Paris are of traditional Paris of 19th-20th century." Do you mean actual visual views, or the perceptions people have? Either way, I disagree. I don't think anyone has to go to any special sites, restaurants, shops, or museums (of course museums have plenty of representations of 19- and 20th-century Paris...also other centuries) to see how diverse Paris is. Just stand on any street corner. If what you are seeking is to see the many diverse ETHNIC communities of Paris, there are myriad venues like Belleville and Ménilmontant, the various African and Asian markets and neighborhoods, etc. It's not much different from here in DC. What's NOT diverse are many of the small rural communities, again, just like here in the USA.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Diversity in Paris

You will find most ethnic diversity in the northeastern quarter of Paris (18th to 20th arrondissements) as well as in the 13th arrondissement around what is usually known as Paris's main Chinatown but which is now also very African.

Poster kerouac2 has photo reports about all these places, including the Ganesh festival which takes place in his neighborhood every year (around rue Pajol) and the African neighborhood around métro Château Rouge. Barbès is predominantly North African.

The area between the Louvre and Opéra is the Japanese district. In the wealthy Parc Monceau neighborhood, west of Paris, the nannies and other employees (some with near slavery status and exploited by wealthy locals and expats) come from Africa or the Philippines.

Around Châtelet-lesHalles you will see a lot of French youths from the northern suburbs of African and north-African descent but since they don't live there and are only meeting there, there is no sign of their cultural heritage, the stores they like are US-inspired urban street wear.

When I was a child and a teenager, the area around Place de la Nation was almost completely African (Senegal and Mali I suppose), now it's almost completely white (it was mixed in the 90's and early 2000's) and I have been wondering where the African people have gone. If anyone knows I would be interested to know as it's one of the most drastic and fast transformations I have noticed in Paris. I used to be able to find nice African restaurants nearby and they have disappeared too :-/

Edited: 07 May 2014, 14:57
8. Re: Diversity in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 16:02
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diversity in Paris

I can tell you where the African people have gone, Mrs French Mystique: …proboards.com/thread/5076/ch-teau-rouge-afr…

And of the four Chinatowns in Paris, the one in the 13th arrondissement is definitely the most impressive: …proboards.com/thread/…chinatown-paris-redux

As for Little India, it is behind Gare du Nord on the right. Here is a report by the famous French Mystique himself: …proboards.com/thread/…

10. Re: Diversity in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 16:06