We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigo Decouverte

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
64 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Navigo Decouverte

I would like to check my understanding about a point:

When buying the Navigo Decouverte for the first time, could this be made through a machine or must be done through a ticket office? because I noticed that a first time purchase consists of 3 items:

- a travel card in the holder’s name

- a smart card

- a card wallet.

Are the ticket offices working in the weekends,?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
505 Reviews
from US$72.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,188 Reviews
from US$109.20*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
794 Reviews
from US$124.20*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
631 Reviews
from US$74.00*
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navigo Decouverte

At a kiosk, you make a 5€ purchase for a Navigo Découverte card. You take the receipt to the Information counter and exchange if for the actual card kit. The kit consists of the card and a plastic holder. You place your photo, 25mm x 30mm, on the upper right portion of the card where indicated, and print your name below it. If you need sissors to trim your photo, the Information counter will have a pair for you to use.

Information windows are staffed on the weekends.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
16,265 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navigo Decouverte

the picture does not have to be passport quality so with digital camera and printer it can be done before you arrive.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,282 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navigo Decouverte

I just took a head shot with my phone and printed it on plain paper.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
64 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navigo Decouverte

Many thanks to all of you,

After getting the kit, how would I charge it for a whole week Zones 1-5?

Level Contributor
17,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navigo Decouverte

You can also have it charged by the ticket window person who will give you your kit to assemble. They can load it then hand all the parts to you to assemble... sometimes, they assemble it for you but if there is a line waiting don't expect it...

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Navigo Decouverte

Aloha from Kauai'!

I first bought my Navigo Decouverte back in 2010 and was pretty clueless about how to go about it. Luckily there was a staffed window at the Bastille Metro station and the agent was kind enough to walk me thru the entire process (there was a photo booth right there also)....she assembled it for me and also "charged" it for me.

However, I wouldn't count on this level of help always.......on subsequent visits to "recharge" the same Navigo (you can continue to use it each time you visit, you just have to "charge" it) - I was always told to use the machine. Since my credit cards would not be accepted, we ended up using cash to recharge them.

This year we have a VISA card with a chip, so we are hoping to be able to use this to recharge. I love having the Navigo card in my wallet as it reminds me of my upcoming return to Paris!

I was very lucky that the lady at the window was kind enough to help me that first time, because she really didn't have to.

One of my first encounters with the kindness of people in Paris.

Malama Pono (take care)

7. Re: Navigo Decouverte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 07:16