We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

makati
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
Save Topic
prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

hello

just wondering how come the prices are more higher in paris aside from the other eu countries?

brands like prada etc etc...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,746 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

Lines are generally better priced in their home turf, but in this global economy, not by much. You want a cheaper Prada go to Milan but the cost of travel will eat up your savings. You are already getting your VAT back. Be happy. The pleasure is in the acquisition so shop till you drop!

2. Re: prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 22:29
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

Because they can get away with it.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

simple economics

the concept is called supply and demand. found in every Economics 101 textbook.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

Many things are actually more expensive, like Dior makeup and perfume. It costs more at Sephora in France than Sephora in the US. My son's headphones were at FNAC for E40 when they cost USD$40 in the US, full price - he actually paid $20.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

Tracie

I've know the dollar at 0,9 for one euro and now at 1,4.. Rate of change is relateively independant of price, we are paid in Euros or $, and we buy according to our earnings. So this doesn't really bother me, it is just a good time to shop in US. What I don't get is that jeans can cost 50 $ in Minneapolis and the same costs 100 € in Belgium... that's why my suitcase was overflowing last time... I bought for 1000$ of clothes that would have cost me above 2000 € in Belgium. some things are always cheaper in US, and extremely so when dollar rate helps.

Wine is way too expensive in US though. even Nappa valley wines.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

I know what you mean BVW -- it's our sales, and our US mentality that everything has to be "on sale". So the list price for those jeans you got for $50 might have actually been $100, but there was a sale. Many, many people I know won't buy anything that's not on sale.

and yeah, if you buy a bottle of wine in the US for $10, it really might be so bad as to be undrinkable. :-(

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,211 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

It's actually a bit more advanced than 'simple economics'. It's demographic market segmentation.

San Diego
Level Contributor
787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

Funny thing Tracie - I can get a bottle of Mouton Cadet for around $8 here in San Diego - even if it's not the greatest bottle of wine - I can drink it - it's NOT "Two Buck Chuck", but a decent Napa would be at least $20!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prices are more higher in paris for shopping?

It also has to do with systems of distribution and business taxation. I am now buying my perfume cheaper here and can't tell any difference from that that I buy in Paris. There may be some. But I figure that if I can't tell the difference, I will buy the less expensive one.