We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
No. California
Level Contributor
312 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

I have read past posts on this subject and it really seems the majority suggest Metro 14 as being the fastest/most reasonable cost. We are in our early 70's though fit and able to walk easily, ect but we will each have 2 pieces of luggage plus our man/woman bags to keep secure. How easy is it to navigate between the train-metro and then metro-train with baggage/feeling secure in mind. We will have at least 3 hours so taxi time should not be an issue. Should also say that we will have already spent 5 days in Paris so at this point should be familiar with using the metro (we are going to Caen from Paris, spending 2 nights and then back to Paris and on to Switzerland).

Thank you for any suggestions on this matter.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

I think with that much luggage, I would want to use a taxi. But the bigger question is, how are you going to manage those train trips with that much luggage? Is there any way you can pare it down?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

Agree with above. Walking easily is one thing. Hauling that many bags throughout your travels is quite another. It's really best to take no more than you can easily haul on long walks, escalators, the occasional staircase up or down. That's a lot of bags to manage and also "feel secure". You cannot expect assistance in train stations or on the trains. And, it may be a struggle for you to get all that and yourselves onto/off trains.

Recommend your "man/woman" bags be cross body style with security features and not too large or heavy.

But, to answer your question, with all those bags and three hours, you'd definitely want to plan to take a taxi.

No. California
Level Contributor
312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

We each have one 21" and one 16" carry on that piggy back. We will be in Europe for 5 weeks and will be based at our daughter's in Switzerland so will be traveling around most of the time with one bag each. This day I am asking about will be our worse. I am thinking Taxi would be best also. We have traveled through Europe several times with the same amount of luggage and lots of trains and have managed pretty well, but didn't use the metro on "moving days". I am only considering the metro due to what I have heard about Paris traffic crossing town by taxi.

No. California
Level Contributor
312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

Absolutely, our "man/woman" bags are crossbody and anti theft type. I think it is our age that worries me more. Not because we can't manage but because we know our age makes us more vulnerable.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

Traffic depends on day of week and time of day. You will get there. The taxi drivers are quite adept at averting the busiest traffic areas (though many accuse them of going the long way around for no particular reason).

If you can manage your belongings, Metro Line 14 (with elevators), runs from Gare St-Lazare to Gare de Lyon.

Paris
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

I would avoid the metro during rush hour, but in the middle of the day the metro line 14 from Saint-Lazare to Gare de Lyon is a piece of cake. The route begins at Saint-Lazare, so you will be able to secure a seat, almost certainly; there are *usually* working escalators and elevators at both ends. But if you have a lot of bags, I would recommend a taxi.

Edited: 11 May 2014, 22:26
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

I didn't realize you had all these duplicate posts and I replied on a thread that got closed right after I posted. So here was my reply: tripadvisor.com/…58200191

(PS: I don't know what you mean about your age making you vulnerable, it's quite the opposite. The number one targets of street crime are teenagers and young adults. Statistically, the older the safer!)

Edited: 11 May 2014, 23:35
No. California
Level Contributor
312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

Yes, I accidentally posted twice and could not figure out how to delete one. I have used TA many, many times and not had this happen before. Well, things happen! My post did not come up at the top so I thought it did not get posted without looking down the list. Not sure why it is not going to the top.

Well, I was just watching a video the other day that states older people are more susceptible to being targets. We have traveled a lot, and much of it over the last 20 years, and so far have never had a problem. I really don't worry about it too much but do realize there is always a first time. I just want to keep traveling and will do whatever it takes to get us there, have a good time, and back home without my husband saying "never again"!

9. Re: Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:18